1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse collapse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Which has been the more spectacular collapse over the last week?

1. St. Louis Cardinals squander most of 8 1/2 G lead

58.8%
  2. Michigan State vs. Notre Dame

41.2%
  1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Any collapse that involves the Cubs and the Red Sox will always be high on the choke list.

But the way the Redbirds have played in the second half of the season with that bullpen is a sight for sore eyes for this Cubs fan. Oh they will make the playoffs, but barely. They'll get bounced in three games. Pujols and and a banged-up Edmonds can't save them this time around.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I see a 2-3 finish for the Cards, winning tomorrow and Sunday (with Carpenter)

I think that if Houston wins today with their scrub Hirsh starting against the Pirates' scrub that the Cards are done.

The Stors then have Oswalt to close out the Pirates tomorrow, and then three in Atlanta.

Clemens goes against James, TBA goes against the poor Lance Cormier and then, for a lot of marbles, a 1996 flashback: Smoltz against Pettitte on Sunday.

I may actually sneak from my NFL for a few minutes for that.

Today is a HUGE game for the Astros.

I have a feeling the Cards are going to pull this choke off.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're all nuts.

The Cards might still WIN. Sparty managed to blow their whole season in a matter of about 20 minutes.

But that's what they do.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

" . . . but . . . but . . . he's . . . the greatest manager . . . that . . . ever . . . LIVED . . . (slurp . . .
    drool . . . . )"

-- G. Will

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago and they were talking on the radio about how well the Cardinals would match up with the Mets in the NLCS, how Pujols deserved to be MVP over Ryan Howard, etc.

I'm saying if they do choke this one away, it matches Mauch's Phillies and the '69 Cubs. Easily.

6. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

As a Cubs fan, all I have in my pathetic life is the collapse of the White Sox and Cardinals. I'm lovin' it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As a Cubs fan, I might just kiss Phil Garner on the lips if they pull this off.

And this is infinitely worse than 69 because it happened in August and early September. Not the last two weeks of the season.

Suck it LaRussa

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The Cardinals aren't going to choke this away. They'll win the division, in a much closer race than it ever should have been, then get bounced in four games (one Carpenter win) in the first round of the playoffs by a very-happy-to-be-facing-such-a-crappy-team-in-the-playoffs team.

And there you have it.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sparty is too good not to watch flame out. Glen Mason is a close second. Bob Kravitz's column on the Purude-Minny game was a good read on how Mason gave the Boilermakers the game with his dumb-ass play calling.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The sad thing is one of three teams _ Padres, Dodgers or Phillies _ won't make the playoffs. All three have played much better down the stretch than the Cardinals.

I think this choke is only the beginning of a downturn for the Cardinals. The farm system is horrible, the hitters around Pujols are aging and/or injury prone. And considering how the franchise is begging the city to help with the Ballpark Village proposal to go with the building of the new stadium, you wonder how cash poor it is and if there's any money for free agents.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, a real fucking shame. ;D

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, Sparty is.
    But every season, they overcome their incredible talent with a lack of testicular fortitude. They peak early-mid season, much like fall colors, then wither away into the depths of anywhere from 6-5 to 3-8...
    Sparty has one good game in it a season and one game that defines its season. The defining game is Notre Dame. Starman and I are in a disagreement about the one good game. I feel history dictates that game will be Michigan; Starman an otherwise intelligent man, but painfully mistaken in this case laughs in the face of precedent and scoffs at the notion.

Draft saved Draft deleted