1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse big-game call: All The Tostitos or Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Jan 11, 2011.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a big Michaels fan. Don't mind Nantz on football (and I like Simms), so-so on hoops, hate how he acts like the freaking Masters is a religious experience.

And I still love Dickie V ... over the top or not.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

To be fair to Nantz, he (and everyone else at CBS) treats the Masters like a religious experience because they have to. Their TV rights contract is on a year-to-year basis and Augusta National can pull the plug on them anytime it sees fit.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/great-game-sport-civilization-ruined-by-speaking-o,18791/

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I cringed at the Tostitos reference, though it could have also been the realization setting in that Auburn was actually going to win. :)

rb

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

To be perfectly fair, it was ruled a touchdown initially, before replay showed he was down a half-yard short.

However, as has been pointed out, the one on the Oregon player that was shoe-stringed at the 5-yard-line was inexcusable.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I kinda like the Tostitos line, just as a vehicle to ridicule how silly the corporate sponsorships have become. Not that it was meant that way, but whatever.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I liked the Tostitos line as well. Brent is pretty good, I don't mind him at all. I think he does a fine job.

8. I like the Tostidos line too. Any other line and would we be speaking about it today? This is for all the Tostidos is now a permanent part of my lexicon.

Roll Tide

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

There's an infinite range of things he could have said that we'd all be talking about today.

If he'd gone on a 10-minute rant advocating child rape, we'd be talking about it.

The idea that anything that "gets people talking" reflects on the high-quality nature of the thing said is one of the trends that has beaten journalism and left it for dead in a ditch.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Didn't like the line, but another vote here for Brent. Doesn't seem to take things too seriously.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

To the original question, it's gotta be Edwards' call. It was so forced and it seemed like he'd been up until 4:00 in the morning trying to craft the the phrase that would make for HIS signature moment.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No love for "We have no light ... we have no signal..."

Draft saved Draft deleted