1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World's smartest rock star . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Nov 20, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I needed to set the record straight about Bad Religon being pioneers in punk rock. They were early, but not the first.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never said they were the first. But they sure as hell influenced a lot of musicians.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree about BR not being pioneers. However, I might point out that the question of whether punk was born "across the pond" is highly debatable. I believe an ugly crew of New Yorkers known as the Ramones is commonly credited as the 1st punk band and the CBGB scene in early 70s NY as punk's birthplace. But it then blew up in the UK.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Ramones' tour of the UK in - I think - 1976 - is widely credited for kickstarting the Pistols, Clash etc. I don't have a copy of Jon Savage's definitive book England's Dreaming handy but I'm sure that's covered there.

Bands like the Stooges and Who are considered punk pioneers too...

5. digger

digger New Member

Seconded. I think the Pixies must be my favorite band that I didn't know I liked. I've heard all those songs dozens of times, but didn't know who the band was (or forgot). Thanks again.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What do you have to do to obtain the title of honorary fellow? I want that title.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have an honorary follow in my pants.

Draft saved Draft deleted