1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World War II movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jul 24, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Three movies set during WWII to avoid:
    - 1941 (Spielberg bomb starring John Belushi and others about a Japanese attack on California)
    - Pearl Harbor (that Ben Afleck disaster from a few years ago)
    - Victory (Sylvester Stallone as the prison camp goalie who tries to help his fellow POWs escape during a soccer game against Nazi All-Stars. Only worth watching to see Pele in action - especially the bicycle kick)

A critically acclaimed movie set during WWII that nobody's mentioned yet:
    Sound of Music

A funny movie set during WWII that nobody's mentioned yet:
    - To Be or Not To Be (never saw the 40s original, I've only seen the Mel Brooks remake)

2. Arrr... another picture that be worth watching about WWII is Eye of the Needle.

Arrr... it be Donald Sutherland's finest work.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082351/

3. Arrr... North by Northwest also be set during WWII

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Stalingrad

In the Garden of the Finzi-Continis

Open City

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

The Tin Drum

Foreign Correspondent

5. And 'is work with Kate Nelligan in one particularrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr scene nearly rivals what he be doin' with Jule Christie in "Don't Look Back," I'm thinkin', belay the mainbrace!

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ahoy - or should I say 'Oy' - there, Cap'n Merloni....not so much.

7. Arrr.. that Kate Nelligan scene did bust the barnicles off'n me rudder

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Good pull on Hope and Glory. Still has one of the funniest lines I've ever seen: "Thank you, Adolf!!" Really, really good movie, more about the homefront than the war, like you said. But Britain was living the war with the Blitz.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Brits made some good, understated WWII movies, like "The Dam Busters" and "One of Our Aircraft is Missing." There's also one whose name I'm forgetting ("The Man Who Wasn't There"?), based on the true story of how British Intelligence took a corpse loaded with bogus D-Day documents and floated it off the Frech coast for the Nazis to discover.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did anybody mention 'Enemy at the Gate' with Ed Harris, Jude Law and Rachel Weicz?
    I liked that movie.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

One of my favorite movies of all time.

some not mentioned?
    The Sands of Iwo Jima
    The Flying Leather Necks
    Where Eagles Dare (Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood)
    From Here to Eternity

note about "To Be Or Not To Be" The Original with Carol Lombard and Jack Benny, is much better than the Mel Brooks version

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. That was classic...

But someone needs to tell that Yo-ho Capt. Lou that NXNW was not set in WWII and is as much of a war movie as Porky's 2 was on Shakespeare

Draft saved Draft deleted