1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World War II movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jul 24, 2006.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Das Boot

2. Battleground is a great movie.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Mr. D. Sanchez beat me to it, but Das Boot is the best submarine movie ever. Super cinematography, great acting, great story. It perfectly sums up the German U-boat experience, how hopeless it was for them at the end, how brave they were and the utter wastefulness of war.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bridge Over the River Kwai

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

The Great Escape was a major disappointment to me. I suppose that is heresy.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Enemy at the Gates. An underrated film, came out about five years ago.

Jude Law as a Russian sniper. Pretty dramatic, has a dumb and unnecessary love triangle subplot, but the opening battle of Stalingrad is excellent and well done.

Plus, since it's from a Russian point of view, there's no contrived flag-waving or feelgood ending.

On that note, and as long as we're speaking heresy: Saving Private Ryan was nothing special to me. An utterly riveting opening 30 minutes, followed by a meandering journey that never lives up to the promise of the early going.

7. I'm with you, Vinz.
    But, you're going to be finding out that a lot of other people aren't.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Surprised no one has mentioned "From Here To Eternity."

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Most of my favorites (The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, Tora, Tora, Tora, Twelve O'Clock High) have been mentioned. Another good one is Battle of Britain. Some have mentioned Band of Brothers--I can't recommend this highly enough.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks for reminding me -- "Mrs. Miniver."

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Band of Brothers is incomparable.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you find yourself unmoved or uncaring of the real soldiers in this series, your heart must not still be beating.

Draft saved Draft deleted