1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World War II movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Mutah

Mutah Member

I always liked the movie, but it seemed disingenuous for one point alone: Donald Sutherland, clearly playing a hippy. Uh, a nod to the time the movie was made, probably, but way out of place in a WWII flick. Rickles as "Crap Game" was good, though.

2. Patton is a big whiff on my part.
    What a freaking performance that is.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I thought about that, but the whole intro of the movie details the WW2 and while it's not a military movie, it is about all of the intrigue.

I don't know if most people know this, but the date of the movie which is portrayed is the first week of December, within the week before Pearl Harbor.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

kelly's Heroes is one of my top 10 alltime favorite movies but....

when it comes to WWII movies close to the time it was made, I have three that I could watch on a loop...
    Battleground
    Destination: Tokyo
    The Enemy Below

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, for my puporses at least it doesn't count. :) Schindler's List isn't really a war movie, per se, but a great one of the time period. I'm more interested in "war" movies, although feel free to discuss whatever. :)

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

1. Longest Day
    2. Saving Private Ryan
    3. Tora! Tora! Tora!
    4. Midway
    5. Best Years Of Our Lives ... probably doesn't qualify as a WWII "combat" movie, but it's still damned good.

7. If Downfall doesn't count, then slot Patton in for me.
    alley -- Only two Navy films? No Fighting Seabees? Action In The North Atlantic? Destination: Tokyo?
    I'm crushed

8. House

House Guest

"Sands of Iwo Jima" - John Wayne

Also, "Torpedo Run" was a good WWII sub movie. Glenn Ford is classic.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"The Train" is good. If you like trains. Resistance fighters try to stop Nazis from transporting the Louvre's treasures to Germany.

On the other end of WWII/train movies, there's "Von Ryan's Express," which is hackneyed but for some reason I end up watching it every time I stumble across it.

10. dmc

dmc Guest

The Guns of Navarone

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not only is "The Longest Day" a great movie, but IMO (and my wife and I are building the definitive war movie library), it's the best war movie ever made. Period.

"Band of Brothers" is a must-see. So is a movie I'm surprised hasn't gotten any love yet... "A Bridge Too Far."

If you're not at work or doing something else vital, Lantaur, stop what you're doing, find this DVD (not too hard), come home, put it in your DVD player and push "play."

You'll thank me later. :)

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Eh ... Fighting Seabees was good, but I was stationed with a couple of CBUs and CB Group TWO so the movie is never as good as the real thing. Besides, when you've been in the military and you've seen certain sides, it's hard to find a movie that portrays things accurately.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is incredibly good, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted