1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World War Bee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw something on FB about the apocalypse of bees:

http://qz.com/107970/scientists-discover-whats-killing-the-bees-and-its-worse-than-you-thought/

And then sniffed around and found an interesting link-heavy article about Putin's "outrage" over the U.S. and the use of neonicotinoids vis-a-vis Monsanto and Syngenta AG and other chemical companies.

A world war over the decimation of bees?

http://politicalblindspot.org/russia-suggests-that-war-may-be-necessary-to-stop-monsanto/

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just curious, Xan (not meaning to flame) but were you really unaware of the collapse in the bee colony population before this recent round of coverage?

3. Songbird

Yes, I did.

No, I didn't know about the politicization of it all.

Going to war over bees? Sounds absurd but it's still what's being written about.

Not to mention, any chance to keep the conversation alive about Monsanto and Syngenta and other chemical companies is a good chance.

4. Who knew Russia was a hotbed of environmentalism?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In Mother Russia, tree hugs YOU!

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

They're only fighting for the straight bees. Fuck Russia.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

America needs to worry about Putin much more than it ever did about Khruschchev and Brezhnev. Khruschchev was all bluster. Putin is a real megalomaniac.

8. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Putin's a moot point if all the bees die and we have no food.

9. Because someone has to

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bee colony decimation isn't new, but the evidence more specifically tying it to fungicide and pesticide use is.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If only those bees weren't wearing hoodies

12. Songbird

Or fraternizing with other bees at a nightclub that made a particular bee murderous with rage.

Draft saved Draft deleted