1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Series games to start at 8 pm!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, May 18, 2009.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Well, I stand corrected then. I thought the last World Series day game was in the late '70s. I'm 27, so yes, those games you mentioned would've happened in my lifetime, although both were before I was old enough to really get into sports.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I palm that responsibility off on slappy. :)

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57490/

ADD: I was off by 15 minutes, but better too early than too late.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the 1985 Series was the first with all night games.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That's not a huge surprise.

Not sure about baseball, but I know the local minor-league hockey team in Indy had 8:30 p.m. local starts for all of its games in the 1940s. And most were played on Sunday and Thursday nights. The American Association baseball team got lights in 1928 (the original standards are still standing, although the park has been abandoned for 14 years), so it likely had similar nighttime starts.

The big difference today is, due to the impact of TV, the games stretch out much longer. A WS game lasts 3:30-4:00 because of the insanely long commercial breaks between innings.

One could expect, in 1938, to go to a 9:15 p.m. local start baseball game and still be on the road by 11:15 or 11:30. Today, if a game starts at 9:00 and it's a playoff game, you're shooting for 12:30 or 1:00.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They should start all postseason games at 7:05 p.m. Eastern time.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Everything's a tradeoff, though. If you do that the games is nearly over before you get into prime time on the west coast. People would be getting home from work in time for the 9th inning. It seems more reasonable to make part of your audience stay up late instead of having a chunk of your audience that misses most of the game.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But if you've lived in any other time zone, you know that they don't give a shit.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It will be funny if both the Angels and Dodgers make the World Series.

9. Football_Bat

In '89 the A's and Giants started their games in full daylight — the quake struck at 5:04 local time.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if I recall correctly the game hadn't actually started when the quake hit. They were still in the pregame show, weren't they?

11. Football_Bat

I think they had just sung the national anthem. First pitch was scheduled for 5:10, I believe. Broadcast still started at 5:00 sharp (8 p.m. ET).

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I think 8 p.m. EST is as good as it can get in order to accommodate all involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted