1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Series games to start at 8 pm!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, May 18, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

MLB, Fox turn back World Series clock with earlier start times

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2009-05-18-mlb-fox-world-series-earlier-games_N.htm

About time.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

A slight improvement. Maybe I'll actually be in bed before midnight. Maybe.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Games will still finish too late for East Coast deadlines thanx to douchebag newspaper-business-side executives who post deadlines so early that we can't even get all the high school football games in.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wait. Newspapers cover high school games? When did that start happening? [crossthread]

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Awesome!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Game start or broadcast start? I'll believe it when it happens.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Broadcasts to start at 7:30, games to begin no later than 7:57 (except on Sundays, because of NFL conflicts).

I like the fact that they are at least considering Saturday afternoon World Series games. Won't happen this year, probably won't happen period, but it's at least encouraging that they're looking into it.

There's never been a World Series day game played in my lifetime. That seems slightly ridiculous.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Where ya been? Its been happening for maybe the last 20 years!

9. Jesus Christ how old are you!?
    They played day games in 1987 (Game 6) and 1984 (Game 5 and possibly Game 4).

Man I am getting old.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

8 p.m. start? How about an afternoon game or 6 p.m. start?

Way to be bold, FOX. ::)

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody posted on an earlier thread that night games, back when night games were new, actually started at night, not sundown or twilight or dusk. Like 9:30 p.m. local time.

Thus, Vander Meer's second no-no (first night game at Ebbets) was relegated to the next day's AMs, although the PMs (of which there were many more than today) got it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time digesting that regularly scheduled games (not makeup games/DH's ect) started at 9:30 p.m.

8:00 p.m.? Definitely.

9:30 p.m.? Any link?

Draft saved Draft deleted