1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior HockeyGold Medal Game: Congrats to the USA. One helluva game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 24, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The TSN created monster is back, starting on Boxing Day--Canada vs Latvia and the US and Slovakia

If you don't have plans for New Year's Eve, it's Canada vs you guys at 8:00.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=707

All US games and the medal rounds will be carried by the NHL Network in the US. The network will use the TSN feed for games not involving the US--you guys get to see Pierre McGuire!!

Nice column by Roy McGregor in today's Globe on the importance of this tourney in Canuckistan--we're going for our 6th straight gold.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/world-juniors/canadas-holiday-tradition-hockey-gold/article1411115/

“You think of the holidays and you think of the world juniors,” says Hall's Windsor teammate Greg Nemisz. “That's kind of how it is. Canada loves their hockey. Everyone's pretty much off work, so they've got nothing else to do but focus on some junior hockey and have some fun watching the games.”

“It's the time of year,” Desjardins adds. “Everybody's home with their families and it's something they do together.

I wonder if FoF is out in Sasketchewan now.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: Running World Junior Hockey Championship Thread

Some of the best hockey you'll see all year. Canada's games last year against the US and Russia were absolute classics.

This year will be a real coming-out party for Taylor Hall of the Windsor Spitfires. I have seen him tear up the OHL for two-plus seasons, now everyone will see why he's odd-on to be the first guy taken in next year's draft.

One of the key guys for Canada this year: Adam Henrique of Windsor, a New Jersey draft who is a very good two-way guy and who should have been the MVP (instead of Hall) of the Memorial Cup in May.

To counter the McGregor column, a somewhat dissenting view courtesy of Damien Cox:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/juniorhockey/article/742200--canada-s-home-ice-edge-slowly-killing-tournament

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's killing me that this is happening practically in my back yard and there's just no good chance for me to go see a game.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you could get tickets.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget the shining moment at the

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

As of last week, they were still available for at least the non-Canada or U.S. matchups. I looked.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know oilers fans are excited, finally a chance to see an oiler have some success (eberle) and their first overall pick in this coming draft (hall). The top lottery pick is about the best they can hope for at this point.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Our very own FoF wrote a book called "When the Lights Went Out", published a couple of years ago. He interviewed everybody including the refs who completely lost control of the game.,

Both teams were kicked out of the tournament and a lot of players on the Canadian team have never forgiven Pierre Turgeon for staying on the bench when the brawl broke out.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's cousin played on that Canuckistani team. He said that was the worst day of his hockey career - which was pretty lengthy. Also interviewed Luke Richardson when he was playing in Columbus and he had some interesting thoughts on that game too.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After the first period, it's Canada 5, Latvia 0.

Canada should probably win 13-0 or so.

This a tournament where you keep scoring because goal differential can be a factor down the road.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Every hockey game should be like that.

There aren't nearly enough instances in the NHL where a team scores in double digits. I was really hoping Pittsburgh would get there the other night against Ottawa.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8-0. Like watching a house league team play a Triple A team. Not even remotely competitive.

And Canada beat the Czech Team 7-6 in a shootout in the first day of The Spengler Cup, one of my favourite tournaments. Craig McTavish is the coach and it's always great to hear Paul Romanuk do a PBP.

I'm not sure I can stand another ten days of Pierre McGuire. He's screeching already.

Edit; `11-0 at the end of the second. I'm sure shots must be something like 35-6 or something. Brutal.

Draft saved Draft deleted