1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championships in my backyard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Anyone need a freelancer? :D

http://cache-thumb1.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?file=10322008082700000000001001&page=1&scale=44

THE PROVINCE OF ALBERTA TO HOST
    2012 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

CALGARY, AB/ EDMONTON, AB - Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), announced on Thursday that the Province of Alberta will host the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship, in Calgary and Edmonton.

The 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship will take place from late December 2011 to early January 2012 (exact dates to be determined) in Alberta at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary and Rexall Place in Edmonton.

2. JR

JR Active Member

Awesome.

HC & I are crashing at your place.

After the Cup, best hockey tournament in the world.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Sweet ... I'll move Petty and the other boys off the futon for you.

4. JR

JR Active Member

They're younger. They can sleep on the floor.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Deal.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Maybe. It's a long ways off!

7. Flash

Flash Guest

SWEET! I'll still be here ... I promise. ;)

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, it all depends on whether we've got guys there. And whether we send someone of our own to cover it :)

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hoping I will be covering it actually, we will see. Sounds like the roundrobin Canada games will be in Edmonton with the playoff games in Calgary.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Yup, that would make a lot of sense for you guys to cover the whole thing.

Think there's any chance exhibition games will be elsewhere, similar to what they did vis-a-vis Kamloops and Kelowna a couple years back?

11. JR

JR Active Member

I just realised you bastards in the West beat out Toronto for this bid. :-[

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080828.wsptjuniors28/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

So, Ottawa in '09, Regina in 2010, Somewhere, USA, 2011 and Edmonton/Calgary in 2012.

Will it ever go back to Europe?

Not if the IIHF could get away with it. Canada's a cash cow.

The IIHF granted Canada that never-ending home-ice advantage, largely for practical reasons. Whenever Canada holds the tournament, it generally plays to record crowds and makes a lot of money. When the tournament goes to Europe, games — especially in the preliminary rounds — are often played in near-empty arenas.

"We show that when Kazakhstan plays Germany, we fill the building," Nicholson said. "No other country can do that.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I would imagine they'd put a game or two in Red Deer, yeah?

Draft saved Draft deleted