1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if the IIHF have standards, they're a state secret. :) But I'd agree. That hit was late in any league.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In addition to Kassian's suspension the Canucks are dealing with injuries to Jayden Schwartz and Calvin de Haan. Won't matter against Norway today but the NYE game against Sweden will be another issue. They didn't look bad from what I saw last night when they beat Russia 2-0.

On paper the Canuckistan power play doesn't look as lethal as that group that tore apart the Ottawa tourney two years ago but it is impossible to argue with its productivity as it has gone 7-for-11.

As I mentioned a few days ago I know plenty of people who have been at one or both of Canada's games and all I have heard is how crazy it is in the arena and how long the lineups are at the border. Kind of glad I have just decided to stay home and watch on TV and not deal with ridiculous customs lines and larcenous parking rates.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My cousin has tickets for tonight's game between Canada & Norway available.

They're in section 123 and she's looking for $60.00 per ticket.

PM me if you're interested.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, because I want to drive two hours, line up at the border for another two to see Canada beat the crap out of Norway. :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw part of the Russia/Sweden game. Sweden is also undefeated so assuming that we beat Norway tonight (God help us if it's less than five goal differential) and the Swedes beat the Czechs tomorrow, that sets up the NYE game nicely---winner wins the pool and moves directly to the semi-final.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The FB status of a mutual friend of ours noted yesterday that he had been in line two hours with still no sign of the Peace Bridge. Still another noted that parking near the rink was going for $60! Wait until MLSE hears people will pay that for a hockey game!

Saw some of the Russia-Sweden game from the rink at Niagara U...was like watching a game from my local rec centre on the community cable channel with seats on only one side of the rink.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I knew we have a bunch of Toronto area fans, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Had no idea about the backups at the bridge. That's crazy. What's the cause?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I figured it would be pretty bad on the 26th with people heading to the Bills game and going over for shopping etc. Have no idea what the backlog would have been yesterday, but apparently it was at all three crossings, Fort Erie, the Falls and Queenston.

Buddy of mine who went yesterday said he left at 10 a.m. for a 4 p.m. game and still spent an hour at the border. He figured that in addition to those with tickets, there are loads of people heading over either looking to source tickets or get drunk in the beer tent or in the area.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it's the holidays for one. Most of the fans at the games are Canadians and then people are going over to Buffalo for a little cross border shopping. Plus US Customs has virtually ground things to a halt.

Last time HC & I went to NYC and crossed at Queenston/Lewiston, it was an hour and a half wait to get into the US and about a two minute wait coming back

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It looked like one of those GTHL Midget games shot by Rogers over at Iceland. :) I wonder if Gare ever made it to the game. Saw his FB post.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. It was light years below the two OHL rinks where Canada sold out exhibition games.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

And....Kassian's gone for two. Misses tonight against Norway and Friday against Sweden. Back for the medal round.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/913216--canada-s-kassian-suspended-two-games-for-hit-at-world-juniors?bn=1

Draft saved Draft deleted