1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like a shot to the head after the first replay but after seeing it a couple of times, I'd agree with Pierre and McKenzie

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If the Czech gets up and skates away do the officials convene to decide on a call? Doubt it?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Typical European officiating.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Not trying to be antagonistic, but how many seconds after a guy loses the puck are you allowed to annihilate him?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

But, how is he as a writer?

6. mb

mb Active Member

The hit:
    #!

For comparison, his last killshot:

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ask the refs who stood there and watched it without a call.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The hit on Colt's Kennedy earned Kassian a 20 game suspension. He left his feet and hit him in the head.

The hit on the Czech player was different

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think the hit was clean but he may be paying for past sins.

10. mb

mb Active Member

I agree it's a different hit. I agree the specific penalty called (hit to the head) was probably ridiculous, but I do think it was worthy of a call.

And I still think it's a dirty hit. He saw a guy who had lost the puck, by my count, 2 seconds ago and went for the killshot.

/freely admits y'all probably have watched untold more hours of hockey than I have
    //suggests folks keep their heads up when crossing center ice

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Keep your head up and your stick on the ice. :)

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

IIHF rules, I believe, only necessitate a hit that targets the head or the neck.

The biggest problem with this hit, from my point of view, was it was extremely late. IIHF standard is around a half second. They could give him a game for that, honestly, and downplay the head-hit issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted