1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship...a Boxing Day Tradition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you've battled to a tie in regulation, you deserve a point. Now, if you want to keep playing 5 minute OTs to decide a regular season game winner, then I could see eliminating the OT-loss point. But that will never happen because we'd have five and six OT games each week.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Originally there was no overtime in the NHL for regular season games.

Then they added sudden death 5 minute OT. Then it was two points or nothing so lots of teams just played for a tie. Deathly boring OT.

So, then to open it up they made it four on four and the loser got a point.

And when there were STILL a lot of tied games, they added the shootout.

Love the three points for a regulation time win in this tourney.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Way back in the day, they used to play 10 minutes of OT, no sudden death. So a team could win by two or more goals, or both teams could score and the game would still end up tied.

But back then teams used to do all their travelling by rail and, starting in the early '40s, the train schedules were significantly tightened due to the war. So they jettisoned OT in order to make sure teams could get to the stations on time. Then, just like they did with the New York Americans, they forgot to bring it back.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

JJ, I'd never heard that before. It almost sounds too simple.

I'm pretty sure I'd heard some grumblings about the NHL looking at a three-point scheme last year or earlier this season. Maybe the WJC will be a jumping-off point.

Anyhow, back to the tournament itself - predictions? I'm hoping for a Canada-Russia final. Those are always fun.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Is that how it works in Canada? Does everyone just know everyone else? :)

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey.
    I'm not a lumberjack,
    or a fur trader...
    and I don't live in an igloo
    or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
    and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
    although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Anybody have a good scouting report on Germany?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit what the tournament is, Germany always gives Canada a hard time. Canucks started with games against top teams like Sweden and USA and must avoid a letdown here.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess they're still pissed we kicked their ass in Holland. :)

You're right.

Canada beat two of the big boys in the first two games and you know a letdown is possible.

The incentive, of course, is beat Germany and Canada has a bye into the semis

Draft saved Draft deleted