1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship...a Boxing Day Tradition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Refereeing was the usual European shake-your-head stuff.

Inconsistent and flat out bad calls. But North Americans know that going over there.

The ONE thing Maguire said that made sense was that Hartsburg and his staff didn't start yapping away at the refs. That would have just set off the players.

U.S. plays Slovakia Saturday and Sweden on Sunday to end the preliminary round.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yikes. I was hoping it was Jack.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Eric had a giant brain fart. I mean, Christ, 10 year olds know you don't throw your stick at a guy on a breakaway.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Brain fart or laziness, take your pick.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Speaking as someone who has watched almost all of E. Johnson's games this year, I'd go with brain fart.

His play for the Gophers has been almost impeccable.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

So, are the 0-2 Americans done or can they still advance?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They probably have to win their last two games in regulation to have a shot and one of those games is against Sweden.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm a fan of Ryan but it's Sags the US could have used. I know what they were trying to do with Mueller on the point but he must have coughed it up or lost control six times on PP. Maybe it's okay with Everett but this is a whole other ballgame. Saguinetti could give the blueline a little speed boost and mobility -- he'd thrive on the big ice surface. The presumption is that Ryan would struggle in Europe -- I don't know if that's true. He wasn't great at last year's tourney but who can move him when he has the puck down low? Big ice surface or not, very few.

Great game by Toews. Neither Johnson does much for me.

YHS, etc

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've seen Ryan once live this seaosn - will see him again Saturday night - but he was a monster down low. Probably the strongest guy on his skates in the OHL. As usual, Mr. Friend O' is spot on, Sanguinetti would have given the US a legit power-play QB.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Is this the first time there's been three points given away per game? You get three for a regulation win, two for an OT/SO win, one for an OT/SO loss.

It'd be nice to see the NHL try this. Thoughts?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I hate the fact that a team gets a point for losing in overtime or the shootout. If a team loses a game, be it in regulation, overtime or the shootout, they should not get a point.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes, they should.

As frustrating as giving a losing team a point can be, it's more frustrating to watch both teams bunker down for overtime.

And casual fans don't want to pay $80 a ticket to see a tie. They just don't, and I can't make them.

Draft saved Draft deleted