1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Junior Hockey Championship...a Boxing Day Tradition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Pretty sure it was Jack ...

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jack Johnson was the guy who got Downie at the end of the semifinal last year.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Semifinal ... right, thanks, Huggy.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Whoa, Americans make it 4-3. How the hell do they not blow that dead the way they've been calling this game with regards to guys in the crease?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, Jack Johnson hammered Downie last year.

Huggy --

You're right about that. Two brilliant saves erased by one boneheaded move.

What's weird is that I saw the same thing happen in a HS game last night. In overtime.

And that guy scored, too.

EDIT:

Wow. Canadian D gets blown by to the boards, guy throws it on net, price gets run and the third forward for the US tucks it in.

4-3.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Zeke, remember the US didn't need Bobby Ryan or Bob Sanguinetti, who have combined for 24 PP goals this year in Owen Sound.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

"Course they didn't. I have mixed feelings on the selection process. It gets really hard when some college teams (cough, Minnesota, cough) give up half their rosters, only to see the guys come back hurt and exhausted for the stretch run.

Canadians get the icing on the cake when US d-man dumps a Canadian on a breakaway. Guy plows through Zatakoff, and both players and the puck end up in the net.

Eerily reminiscent of the American's last goal.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great, great effort by Darren Helm to make it 5-3 (not so great job by Erik Johnson who got blown away - and who made that shitty pass back to the US blue line from deep in the Canadian zone) and he scores into an empty net to make it 6-3.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

6-3 is the final.

Not totally indicative of the play, but a tough Canadian team had an answer for everythign the Americans did.

I'm guessing neither side will be complimentary of the officiating.

And much thanks to Huggy for the updates. Obliged.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Hmm, how was that not goaltender interference? Guess it doesn't really matter after the result but if you're going to call everything, call e everything.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Exactly.

In the end, both goalies got run and scored on, so I guess you could argue it didn't make a difference, but even as an American fan I really didn't know if the third US goal should count.

I never got a look at a great replay.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It was Erik who threw the stick.

Draft saved Draft deleted