1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Hockey Championship Running Thread.Russia beats Canada in OT to win gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, May 4, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

100th anniversary of the event and the IIHF is holding it outside Europe for the first time--in Halifax and Quebec City.

The legendary Latvian fans will be out in full force this afternoon for the game against Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/Article/421237

Their deafening banging of the drums have taken over the Metro Centre. Their fun-loving presence on the streets, in the bars and at hotels hasn't gone unnoticed by Team Canada.

"There's a rumour that instead of getting an income tax return, they get a jersey," joked Shane Doan. "They all have jerseys. It's incredible. They're just awesome."

And Canada's assistant coach Pat Burns makes an uncharacteristic joke.

"I was talking to Lou, and said, `Can we buy them and bring them to Jersey with us,'" said Burns. "It's their Super Bowl. They take it very seriously. I was just hoping they would get a goal just to see them erupt."

US and Canada play Tuesday. Game's are on TSN up here but I suspect nowhere down there.

Here's a link to the schedule, teams and rosters. First games were last Friday.

http://forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/extras.cgi?2008-WC-championship-index

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Re: World Hockey Championship Running Thread....watch out for the Latvians

God, it's good to see Pat Burns' name in print again ...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw himn interviewed the other night. He looks a little worn down but you gotta be happy that he seems OK.

One of the good guys.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back when there was a junior team at St. Mike's in Toronto (up until this season), Latvians in the city would fill the tiny joint to watch the two Latvians they had on the team. One of them, Kaspars Daugavins, an Ottawa draft, will play for Latvia in the Worlds. Those people love to party.

Speaking of Burns, doubt he'd take it, but I think he'd be a great coach for the Sens.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I'd have to agree with that, Huggy. Seems the kind of toughness they need has to come from the top down.

My eldest brother was at the game Friday night. Haven't heard anything back from him. I'm sure somebody's still trying to peel him off the floor of the Lower Deck.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Kinda like all the Sikhs and Hindus at that one Troops game or all the Polish people at the Ice Dogs because of Wolski.

First (and probably last) time I'd heard O Canada in Polish

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about the Polish version of the anthem. That was a unique one.

If I was in Halifax now I'm not sure I'd even know there was a hockey tournament going on. As Dan Jenkins would say, it's the kind of good, honest town where they don't announce last call until February and you're not considered drunk unless you're laying face down in the street and can't speak your native tongue.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Hahaha! That's about when I can speak my native tongue. I land on July 9. I cannot wait to breathe the air.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is there any reason why Alex Cherepanov did not make Team Russia?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You stopping off in the Centre of the Universe on your way there or back?

Huggy, HC & I could introduce you to the Goose.

Beaucoup de biere.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I heard that Patrick Kane kid is pretty good. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted