1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup Mania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's really not that complicated.

There are various domestic cup tournaments in most countries, including ours (the U.S. Open Cup).

The regional organizations also hold annual tournaments, like the UEFA Champions League, which involve the top clubs from each country.

Then you have international play, which consists of the World Cup, next year's Euro, and others around the world. They also play exhibitions, or friendlies, to prepare.

If you follow a team, you can bookmark their schedule page and keep up.

Yes, soccer teams often play two legs instead of a best-of-three and keep aggregate score, but it makes sense in that you have scheduling certainty and each team gets at least 90 minutes at home. Tournaments are usually a random draw in each round and there is no seeding, so home advantage is neutralized as much as it can be.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I never did follow or like soccer all that much. Then, I started betting on it. Best value in sports gambling is soccer. Also, it gives you something to watch (and bet on) on Saturday and Sunday mornings in the fall before the REAL FOOTBALL!!!! comes on. Getting an extra-time equalizer that clinches your +260 draw is quite a rush.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

But is it cutting into your slam poetry consumption?

JackReacher likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Here's the thing about it. When you watch the game in Brooklyn, everybody totally gets it.

Men who try to control what others find fun clearly just have hangups about women. It’s time we stop trying to argue them out of their hangups and just laugh at them instead.

Watching the game without any hint of those guys around was really fun. Just relaxing and watching the women kick butt without having to catalog it as further evidence that wrong guys are wrong was such a relief. I would like to have more game-watching opportunities like that, please.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you don't like women's soccer, you're gay.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Which college paper did this run in?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I did appreciate some of the pictures/videos comparing the toughness of the women vs. the crybaby, flopping men.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if NYC throws a ticker tape parade for the UNWNT, does every white mommy and daddy within 100 miles of New York City show up with their daughter to gaze upon their heroic role models, or does no one care?

The city is talking to the U.S. women's soccer team about the possibility of a parade following its World Cup victory.

Mayor Bill de Blasio's press secretary said Monday the administration congratulated the team "on its tremendous achievement and is currently exploring logistics and talking with the team and other partners about a possible ticker-tape parade."

NYC Looking Into Parade for U.S. Women's Soccer Team After World Cup Win | NBC New York

10. Dick Whitman

I'd hold it in Brooklyn.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

People like stuff that doesn't interest me. How dare they?

12. Mr. Sunshine

This thread doesn't affect you.

Draft saved Draft deleted