1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup Mania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's not that difficult Dick, so if they can't explain it they really aren't big fans.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly.

3. Dick Whitman

That said, I'm trying to imagine a world in which the Golden State Warriors hop on a plane over the weekend to go play in a game against Mexico City or Edmonton.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The non-raping Mexicans would give them a run for their money.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck what other leagues do?

Also, soccer fans who gives a fuck about people like Dick. They don't like it, they don't like it, let them troll for attention. Which I completely bit on hook, line and sinker.

6. Dick Whitman

"Tonight's Yankees game is canceled. They have to go play Caracas."

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OTOH, soccer has received more curled-lip negative press from U.S. sports columnists just because they don't like the game itself than every other sport combined over the years. Always thought it was wrong for a sports writer to bash an entire sport and still do.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hmm. No love for soccer or Valentine's Day.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bobby Abreu still rakes.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new default line. :)

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. The NBA is big, big right now with the folks under 35 and I don't blame them. I'm enjoying the NBA more right now in many years, to the point where I'm considering the League Pass for next year.

I tend to think the WWC excitement is reasonably legitimate this time around, in large part because this team was very, very known and the games were all at decent times.

I will affirm a small part of Dick's larger point:

World soccer is a complete cesspool. FIFA. The officials. Some of the coaches. More than a few of the players. The crowds in some nations are often so awful they'd make upper-deck Jets and Eagles fans blush. Now, you wanna bake a cake with nations under dictatorship and police states and the like, it's not going to be as clean as Americans tend to want their sports to be. But, as time goes on, American fans will have to reckon more with a sport that's about far more than set pieces and scarves. It's dirty as hell and, at times, hard to defend.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted