1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup Mania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not a soccer fan, but I watched most of the women's WC final instead of that festival of boredom, beef jerky and fuel waste that is NASCAR.

At least the soccer players have to be good athletes (ducking ... )

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Should have watched until the end.

Carnage.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a soccer diehard, I have to say that there was way more buzz this year than in 2011. As I mentioned on another thread, I attended the USWNT's final warm up match at Red Bull Arena in 2011 and the stadium was at best 1/4 full. In 2015, they played their final warm up match at RBA against a lesser opponent and the place was sold out and raucous. I think that the buzz of having the men's WC the year before helps. And of course the fact that we're a favorite is massive.
    Many casual soccer fans and lots of kids that I know were talking about the matches. And the ratings were huge.

Does that translate to anyone caring about the domestic league? Probably not. As much as I love MLS, it is clearly inferior to the European product that I can watch every week. The 14 year old in the Messi jersey isn't getting excited about Fire-Dynamo when Chelsea is playing Arsenal on NBC.

For the women, the matches were basically only available on You Tube and even though it is an excellent league. I can't see it succeeding but maybe the niche will get a little bigger.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most of them chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A!" before catching themselves and complaining about how an American victory in the World Cup is just one more example of the United States using its might to keep the rest of the world down.

expendable and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I wasn't crapping of soccer. I rather enjoy the sport, although I don't follow it closely outside of the major tournaments.

My point is that Americans love big events, especially when we can wave our flag.

And as a hockey fan, I have no problem with its small and loyal following. If people don't like the sport, so be it. That's their loss. Why do soccer fans have to judge those who don't like their game so harshly?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Except they don't. I've heard this argument for 20 years and never found it to be true.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Soccer is on the move in America to about to the same extent that international hockey was on the move in February 198o and swimming, gymnastics or track are on the move for about one summer month every 4 years. We'll temporarily get mighty excited over these niche sports on the occasions when they give us something to rally around ...but it never seems to last long.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We only judge the trolls harshly.

You don't like a sport - any sport - that's fine. Hell, that's great. More power to you. But don't troll the folks who do like the sport. Goes for soccer, hockey, basketball, football, lacrosse, whatever. Don't be a jackass. Let people enjoy what they want without shitting on it.

9. Dick Whitman

Is it not legitimate to ask why ratings were up? I figured that would be an exciting development.

10. Dick Whitman

And to the extent I shit on soccer, I'm not shitting on the people who do like it. I'm shitting on the people who pretend that they do, because Europe.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As for making fun of people pretending to like things, #GD50 dwarfs soccer by at least 5:1.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Can't disagree there. I high-tailed out of town and joined the real rock fans at the Stones show a couple hours away.

Draft saved Draft deleted