1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup 2022 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That's fine, but they still have a poor record when it comes to women, Jews, infrastructure, 100-degree heat and alcohol. We have good relations with Luxembourg (I assume), but that doesn't mean I want them hosting a World Cup over the U.S.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes to your second question.

Russia will be fine, so will Qatar. Middle Eastern nations have been hosting major golf events, Formula One (even though their tracks in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi suck, suck, suck) and other events that aren't in the American consciousness for well over a decade.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jeanine Pirro was not impressed.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd like to remind everyone that had the USA implemented the realistic fuel standards and energy policy the Jimmy Carter Administration embarked upon, Qatar would not be awash in cash from American SUV drivers, and would not have been in a position to "outbid" the US for the WC. That's the plain truth.

5. TigerVols

And now Qatar will be doing exactly that -- hosting an event that won't be in the American consciousness.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

More inappropriate politics from the dude who once said that California's problems aren't all bad, since they can at least be blamed on Republicans.

How about you give it a f$#%ing rest?

More ignorance.

I mean, seriously. A guy who lives in Southern California shouldn't attempt to dismiss soccer, unless he's just being a smartass.

7. TigerVols

Is Piotr Rasputin an anagram for Ad Hominem?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is TigerVols a guy who has his head in his ass?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't care if Qatar bans alchol, women, Jews and gerbils. If they also ban vuvuzelas, I'm on board.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The 2018 voting, per the Guardian:

First round: England 2, Holland/Belgium 4, Spain/Portugal 7, Russia 9
    Second round: Holland/Belgium 2, Spain/Portugal 7, Russia 13

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Holland/Belgium went down in votes in the second round?

Did someone get bribes from two countries? Pledge only to vote for one bid in the first round?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Piotr, but a large majority of the US populace couldn't care less about soccer or the World Cup.

Draft saved Draft deleted