1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup 2022 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Given the geopolitical realities of the Persian Gulf, how could anyone bet Qatar even exists in 2022, or at a minimum is the kind of place in which people would consider attending a sports event?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When & why did the pronunciation of Qatar change? It's like Uranus.

Who decides these things?

3. YankeeFan

And they won't be able to import prostitutes either.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For now...

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's always been pronounced 'cutter.'

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I didn't have a problem with a World Cup in South Africa. I figured they were going to host a good tournament, and they did. I can see a World Cup easily working in Russia.

Qatar? A country the size of Connecticut with a population the size of the Kansas City metro area? How is a country this small going to fill stadiums? I know they promised air conditioned stadiums/fan zones, but what does a fan do if he/she is not at a game or fan zone? Cook in the 110 degree heat? Stay in the hotel?

And I thought I heard they have conservative laws regarding women. Will those laws be relaxed for the World Cup?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What kind of decision on Uranus do you need?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Such fucking bullshit. Bribes win the day with FIFA.

China is the presumptive favorite for 2026. So 2030 might be the next realistic chance for the USA to get a World Cup. Though we'll likely be fighting England and/or Germany for it.

10. YankeeFan

Sure. That's how you've always hear it pronounced?

Qatar (/ˈkɑːtɑr/ ( listen) or /kəˈtɑr/ ( listen), kə-TAR;[4][5]; Arabic: قطر‎ [ˈqɑtˤɑr]; local pronunciation: [ɡitˤar][6])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.slate.com/id/2074824/

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

China can't get 2026 because rules prohibit it from going to the same continent two times straight - of course that can be changed.

Quatar is going to build outdoor stadiums with air conditioning then dismantle them and donate them other countries. Unbelievable.

Draft saved Draft deleted