1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Championship?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MightyMouse, Nov 26, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I've been editing an inordinate number of "World Championships" out of copy lately, and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the subject.

For me, it's a pet peeve, but I feel it's more than that, because it's also inaccurate.

The Yankees are not 27-time world champions. They have 27 World Series titles. The Saints are not the defending world champions. They are the defending Super Bowl champions or NFL champions. Etc ...

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

you are correct

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Hate it. The World Series isn't a true world championship. They don't play the Japanese. Isn't being World Series or NBA or NFL champions good enough?

4. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

At our shop that has always been explicitly stated: "The World Series champion is to be referred to as the World Series champion, not the world champion." Same rationale with all others...

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That's reasonable ... more than reasonable, actually. Probably what was most annoying about it last week was that I was editing a Yankees fanboi story written by the SE. It was everywhere: story, breakouts, cutlines. Ugh.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I probably should resist this, because this is a legitimate discussion, but every time I see the term "world champion" I'm reminded of an exchange during my college baseball days. The Pirates had a scout on our campus to look at one of our players, drawing a lot of curiosity from the rest of us. One guy said, "hey, he's got a world championship ring." Another guy quickly responded, "yeah, he can suck my world championship dick."

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I totally agree. It's World Series champions, Super Bowl champions, etc. Except for the World Cup, of course.

8. Reese

Reese New Member

OK, so ... San Francisco Giants World Series champions. Sounds damned good to me.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So can you call the winner of the World Baseball Classic the world champions? Sure, the Japanese (or Koreans, or whoever the hell won it last time) might have beaten the best teams, but they haven't beaten them all. Bring on Finland!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also, just for the hell of it...

[​IMG]

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Figure skating has world championships. I guess an Olympic gold medal counts as a world championship. Little League World Series? Etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted