1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World champions?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Sep 7, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I see the Colts hung their banner last night. Says world champions. That bother anyone else? I mean, they're NFL or Super Bowl champions. They didn't play anyone from the CFL. I realize they'd kick the snot out of a CFL team but the bottom line is they're not "world" champions. Same goes with the NBA. Do they play teams from overseas? Nope. Or baseball. Do they play the Cubans or Japanese? Nope.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yes, I'm bothered.

Should have been World Charmions.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I think the NFL is the only league where the championship game winner has a legitimate claim to the "World Champion" title.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I always thought the World League champion got that title.....

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

No, the Spurs can say they are the world champs, because Trajan Langdon started in the 2007 EuroLeague championship game, which automatically removes the entire league from serious consideration. :p

(The women's EuroLeague champs, on the other hand, had Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Tina Thompson and Tamika Whitmore, so the WNBA could end up in a situation where their champs aren't even <i>Taurasi's</i> best team, much less the world's.)

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I with TwoGloves, I hate the term and never use it. If a team is defending World Series champion, that's what I call them. Or Super Bowl champion on NBA champion. World champion is for the World Cup.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I think the only major sport that doesn't use the term world champion is hockey. You're the Stanley Cup champion. No wonder so many people think Americans are arrogant.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Under the present regime, commments like that can end you up in Guantanamo

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Huh??? Are the World Series champs not World Camps because Japan won the WBC?

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

There are other countries beside ours? If I only had a map...

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Iraq has a great football league. They throw bombs all game long.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Such as.

Draft saved Draft deleted