1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Workplace boredom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SilvioDante, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

I know people joke on here about surfing the Net at work, finding little time-killing games to play, etc., but I am starting to think that boredom in my workplace is really starting to affect my mental health. I know some people may say, "Damn, I WISH I was bored!" I used to have a job like that, too. And at least I felt valued.

Just sitting, waiting for something to do ... it's starting to drive me crazy. I've tried to offer to do more, take on more responsibility, but I'm usually casually shot down. It's almost as if someone catches me working on a project of some sort, they say, "You don't have to do that! Relax!"

Does anyone else go through this? It's freaking mind-numbing.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you an air-traffic controller or something?

I'm never get bored at work. Now sometimes I have work I want to avoid....

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

4. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

That wouldn't help. I think it's a combination of not having anything to do and not feeling important to the organization that's driving me to depression.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What about finding something for yourself to do, instead of waiting around for someone to tell you what to do?

A little initiative goes a long way toward keeping your mind occupied. Ask what other people are doing. Figure out what you can do to help, instead of waiting for someone to ask you to help. Work on things that can be helpful to the organization. Then you'll feel like you're more a part of it.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

try updating your resume

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

buck, he said above he tries to branch out and do things, and it's not welcomed.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Then I agree with Leo: Update that resume. Sounds like he's not welcomed there, either, if that's the case.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

silvio,

If you work at a newspaper and don't have enough to do to keep you busy, I am guessing this situation will take care of itself shortly.

10. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

No, it's not that. Everyone is nice as can be - but it's essentially a shop full of people who have been there for 30 years. Plus me. Seems to be tough to break into the loop, and you just end up forgotten about. It's hard to explain.

But trust me, I have initiative.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Are you in sports? Surely there's an athlete in your area that you can do a feature on...

12. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

It's hard to explain without outing myself to people. I would appreciate it if we could just assume that my conundrum is legitimate and then go from there. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with the dissatisfaction of too much down time, too little responsibility. It can be spirit-crushing, it really can.

Draft saved Draft deleted