1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Workout Programs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Sep 20, 2013.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

After about 2 years in between rounds, I'm halfway through my second round of one of the infomercial icons, Insanity. I got to thinking: what workout programs (outside of the daily 12-ounce curls) do folks around here like, don't like, outwardly hate, or would suggest?

Why do you like a specific one, or why do you hate it? What has worked for you? What was too hard for you? Tips for anyone?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The one I'm intrigued by is the DDP Yoga. I saw the Real Sports thing on it and it was pretty interesting and I have a friend who has had some success doing it.

I have bad back issues, so I'm always looking for workouts that don't put me into traction.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Friend of mine who is an ex pro wrestler swears by DDP Yoga. Also says that the guy in the ad who did the yoga and benefitted is legit.

Goofy thing about it is that some of the moves are wrestling names, has a Diamond Cutter IIRC.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Question for the folks who are with DDP Yoga (or anyone who might be able to impart some knowledge): so, you might recall that I've been with it for about 18 months or so. Unfortunately, I can't progress much past the basic or intermediate workouts, depending on how my back and leg are doing any given day or week. It keeps me limber, but it's not doing that much for weight loss. I'm maintaining my weight, and I've dropped some bad eating habits. I just can't drop any more. Walking/jogging/running is out because I'm on a cane.

I know that building muscle is a great way to burn fat, but I don't have the money for weights or a gym membership. Plus, I'm not sure how safe it would be because of my lack of core strength because of my injured spine and nerve damage.

So, has anyone added other forms of resistance training, like getting a $10 resistance band and using it for simple exercises like bicep curls, presses, leg presses, etc.? Or would your recommend something else?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Pretty simple for me, weights and running. (Treadmill in the winter, outdoors in the summer.)

Does the trick.

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jump roping.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

You see, that's where the whole "walk with a cane" thing gets complicated.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have one of my own design.

6 days of cardio a week (exercise bike right now, some running in the summer), one hour a day

3-day rotation of simple dumbbell program: Arms, chest, legs. One day off per week.

Draft saved Draft deleted