1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working with other Media outlets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 5, 2007.

?

Should I feel bad

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I've been in the same boat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So I was at a press event this morning and after it was over, you had the standard availability.
    And I was walking around asking questions and doing my thing.
    So one of the TV reporters there starts chatting me up about the event. She's one of the prettier ones, but has old woman hands and I'm sure she's younger than me.
    Anyway, she asks me if I would go on camera to do a little thing. She's thinking an interesting angle would be to get some media reaction.
    And I tell her no. Not because my paper has a policy against it, I just didn't feel like it.
    So I've been ruminating on it and now I think I feel bad.
    Here I am, asking people questions all the time yet I get pissed when they tell me no.
    And a fellow reporter, a colleague asks me to do the same thing and I do what I hate.
    I kinda think it was a dick move on my part.
    Anyone else been put in the same situation? Or anyone have any thoughts, opinion, commentary?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i won't tell you how you should feel but back when i was in the business i was asked to be interviewed a few times. i always did it because although asking to interview a nobody like me was a clear sign that the reporter was desperate for a story, i was helping a fellow journalist, which seemed the right thing to do.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was a dick move as long as you were a dick about it.
    Were you a prick; did you politely decline; did you look past her....
    How did you handle your response?

4. JayFarrar

I'd like to think I was cool. I told her no but suggested another print reporter who was there. Even went and found her after everything was over and asked if she had gotten what she needed.
    I don't mind helping other reporters. I given up quotes, told others tips, even let one who shall not be named file on my laptop at a tournament.
    I just don't like to go on camera.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You should have bargained.

"An interview for a date. It's only fair."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only way to truly determine whether it was a dick move or not is to look deep within yourself and ask what you would have done if she had younger-looking Palmolive-type hands.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are we talking dry skin or full-blown liver spots?

[​IMG]

8. What's worse:
    Old lady hands or Man hands?

My vote: Man hands! EWWWWWWW!

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Then don't fret it. You werent a dick (ok, a dick above and beyond the call)...

10. JayFarrar

Kinda of like smokers' hands. If you know what I mean.
    And I really don't like to be on camera. Of course if she had grabbed my junk and said follow me to the camera, I would have.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, this is instructive. Our fellow female TV reporters can gain keen insights here.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You change media AND gender there, Ace? new approach to getting into the P-D? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted