1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working on Friday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Nov 24, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know the newspaper industry works every day of the week, but I'm no longer on an editorial staff, so I was looking forward to having today off...

And wouldn't you know it, I'm here on a Friday, with an absolutely skeleton staff and things so slow I'm actually starting a thread to talk about it. Hell, no one's even posting, it seems like...

Anyone else working today?

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

My dad's at working making sure planes stay in the air.

Not the same, but at least you know he's doing his job.

:)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I am, but my heart isn't in it. I'm supposedly moving out of sports in a few weeks, to the news side. But previews are coming up and I'm having a very difficult time summoning energy to get them done. So I'm sitting here listening to Oasis, putzing around like a shmuck and wishing that I wasn't in sports anymore.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They came in and offered the chance for everyone to leave early. Since I'm a supervisor, I can leave only if everyone else does.

Three diehards...three...opted to stay. Damned need for a paycheck.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Yep, here with a couple of others ... loking at our features dept., which has absolutely nobody there, and a parking lot that's about 1/4 filled. Now if I could just stop surfing SJ, I could get some work done.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey Bud, what's your favorite Married ... episode? It's one of my favorite shows of all-time, at least the first 6-7 years. After that it got horrid. The best Bud episode is when he's trying to win over that hotbox blonde and keeps nearly killing himself. "Steeerike one!" ...

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have to drive to a couple hours away and cover a football playoffs doubleheader at 4 and 8. I came into the office on my way to grab some stuff and there was literally no one in the entire building. Neat.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Who's playing Angola?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I already worked. Set up my pages last night, finished them this morning. Have to attend football practice later today.

I'm only cranky because I didn't get to shop this morning.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's ok to be working instead of shopping today. After all, it's Buy Nothing Day:

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Reminds me of an old Woody Guthrie song...

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/Lyrics/My_Daddy_Flies.htm

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. Got the Civil War in a few hours, which should make things interesting.

Working today isn't so bad, at least compared to yesterday. At least the restaurants are open....

Draft saved Draft deleted