1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working on a feature and need advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Dec 31, 2008.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Just thought I would update on how everything turned out. I talked the writer who wrote the story and ended up with some quality stuff that I think really added to the story. He even had his original notes from the championship game, which turned out to be a nail bitter. I used some of what happened in my story and I think it really added.

Layout wise we used one of the original team photos from the microfilm, and then lined the guys up the same way for a picture here in our studio and are doing like a before-and-after type thing. We didn't really have room for bios on each player, but I did an info box that included at quote from each player about that season. Helped add another element to the story I thought anyway.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I am really happy with the way this thing turned out.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It sounds like a real cool story that you handled well.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sounds like good work.

I wish I had the time and staff resources to actually do things like that.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Post the link when it's published, if you feel safe in doing so. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. :)

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'll echo the praise from others. Sounds like you did some nice work, and I'd like to check it out if you're up for posting it.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Heck, I'd go ahead and use that device of putting the original lede in italics right above your story with the citation, and segueing into your story off of that. If the lede is that good and lends itself to a segue, then go ahead and run with it.

I also like the idea of interviewing the writer. Get some players off the team they beat in the finals as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted