1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working on a Dream and 2009 Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is interesting about Bruce is that aside from his singing, writing and playing, he is not the Boss for nothing.

Is there another rock musician who has had the respect of his peers and bandmates and been able to keep things together for so long?

Whatever you think of his music these days, he's unique.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

U2

3. Heard an old boot once where he specifically called out Kid Leo and WMMS.
    Sorry he and the city don't get along.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nope, I've heard it at least a half-dozen times, and I still hate it. I can't get past the thought that it sounds like a crappy Christian rock song. Most of the album grows on me with every play -- I've gone from "meh" after the first listen to thinking it's a pretty solid effort -- but "Kingdom of Days" does nothing for me.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There's a great story written a few years ago about the "Cleveland Boys", a group of fans who followed him in the Darkness era and who Bruce mentions in a few boots.

Still haven't heard it. My 7 month old son is teething and would not be soothed last night and I fell asleep on his floor. Then this morning, my iPod was out of juice and I couldn't sync it with my iTunes before I ran off to work.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm a big Bruce fan, but I've never thought of him as this amazing lyricist. The early stuff (ie, Born to Run) is fun and melodramatic, but it's not deep. And with the latter stuff, like Magic, the lyrics can get really strained.

Just because you throw in religious imagery doesn't make it profound ("Ill watch the bones on your back like the stations of the cross" ?)

To be clear, I'm a big fan, but to me complaining about the "Working on a Dream" lyrics being slight is like Star Wars fans complaining about the three pre-quels not being as complex and deep as the first three movies. I'm not buying into the premise.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's not him and the city not getting along, it's whomever booked this part of the tour neglected to book a show in Cleveland. This might be the first-ever Springsteen tour that misses Cleveland.

8. Simon_Cowbell

But, you don't need to go too deep to strike a nerve, do you?

His lyrics are so natural.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Are you sure they don't have a mess of dates to add after Europe?

10. EStreetJoe

The Cleveland boys story can be read here (although the great early photos that ran with the story aren't included):
    http://talk.livedaily.com/archive/index.php/t-121389.html

11. EStreetJoe

Don't know if they're going to be doing a fall tour or not.

12. Simon_Cowbell

I mean, Springsteen never skips SoFla, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted