1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working on a Dream and 2009 Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 27, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The E Street name was coined in late 73/early 74 while Sancious was still in the band and they would rehearse at Sancious' mother's house near the corner of E Street and 10th Avenue in Belmar. Sancious was regarded as a great jazz keyboardist and left the band with then-drummer Ernest "Boom" Carter to form the jazz-fusion band Tone.

Nils Lofgren is a legendary guitarist between his solo stuff, his playing with Crazy Horse backing Neil Young, his playing with Bruce and his playing with other musicians.

I've never heard Neal Peart or Geddy Lee being among the best with their instruments.
    So take off, you hoser (Lee guest vocal reference there)

2. lono

lono Active Member

So he can have something in common with God.

3. EStreetJoe

He doesn't hate Cleveland. It's that Cleveland no longer likes him
    Cleveland was one of the cities he first hit it big in outside of NJ/NYC. Sometime early this decade the shows there stopped selling as well as they have in the past.
    Either that or he wanted to play there, but the Cavs were home every open night they tried to book a show there.

4. EStreetJoe

He doesn't make the Top 20 rock drummers in this list:
    http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/stylus-magazines-50-greatest-rock-drummers.htm

and I guess I didn't pay attention to (or more than likely simply missed) the other lists and raves about him being one of the best.

5. EStreetJoe

I did google Best Rock Drummer and that was one of the first links that came up. The others had Pert in the top 3 if not No.1. Like I said, I hadn't seen or heard of the talk about him being the best rock drummer prior to the google search.
    I would have expected the honor for best rock drummer to go to Bonham or Moon.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm kind of down with Junkie on this one. The Working On A Dream clips I've heard on VH1 Classic sound like a 60-year-old man trying to wheeze relevance ... poorly.

Springsteen reminds me of the Stones. I love the Stones, they're my favorite band, but they haven't done a damn relevant thing since 1981's Tattoo You, which was itself an album of outtakes. Yet the Stones could group piss Jingle Bells on a steel drum and someone at Rolling Stone would give it five stars and too many lemmings will call it genius.

Springsteen is the same way, though I'll go a little further than Junkie and stop his creative period at Tunnel Of Love.

Doesn't mean he's not good live, that's a whole different kettle of fish and I have no doubt that he is great. It doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his legion of fans. But he's basically an oldies act that Baby Boomers won't allow to slip into the oldies realm because then they'd have to admit that they're oldies themselves.

Oh and Rush sucks balls. Just doing my obligatory duty.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Word for word. I've really tried with Springsteen for the last 20 years, but I think he's lost the fastball, at least on record. I'm sure the live show is still pretty damn good -- saw him years ago and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Haven't heard all of the new one, but the song "Working on a Dream" may be the weakest Springsteen song I've ever heard. The lyrics are borderline Bon Jovi.

And it would be kind of nice if we could occasionally have a music thread that wasn't turned into a Rush thread by the end of page one. Just sayin'.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

DO NOT BELITTLE THE ALBUM THAT GAVE US "CHAIN OF LOVE" AND "HEARTACHE" AND EIGHT OTHER INSTANT CLASSICS YOU NO-GOOD ROTTEN SONOFABITCH!!!!

(A Grammjack. Awesome.)

Just got the CD/DVD combo at Target and looking forward to listening to it later tonight. I think I'll like it a lot, b/c it sounds like Bruce just churned this out and, as EStreet Joe says, wanted to make some good pop songs...as opposed to methodically crafting an album-of-the-era such as "The Rising" or "Magic." And I loved those albums, but I like quick, sparse pop songs too.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And, despite how good an album Tattoo You is on its merits, fans ripped the Stones when it came out, as Who fans did with the change-of-sound, post-Moon Face Dances at about the same time.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will give you my first-born child.

Word for word.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hyperbole doesn't become either of you.

The Kanye West thread has yet to mention Rush.

12. EStreetJoe

You're being a little rough on Springsteen there as Lucky Town is a brilliant album - however the accompanying Human Touch album had just two moments of brilliance (Real World and I Wish I Were Blind). The Ghost of Tom Joad disc was solid throughout, with a couple of moments of brilliance.
    However I will readily admit that The Rising was an uneven record, while Magic and this one are subpar releases in the Springsteen cannon. But I'm not quite ready to admit he's lost his fastball yet on vinyl/CD. His live shows are still legendary. There are some people that rated a few of the shows this past tour as good as, if not better than, the shows they saw him play in 1978. But in a compacted 12-minute format people aren't going to get the full power and glory of the E Street Band in concert.

As I said its amazing how split fans are on this release. If you go to the usenet group rec.music.artists.springsteen the vast majority (I'd wager close to 80-85%) hate the new release, say it sounds like a bunch of outtakes, etc.; while on the BTX message board at backstreets.com, the opposite is true - the vast majority love it. The classic rock fan who likes Bruce, but isn't a die-hard fan, won't care about the new release, will say the new songs show he's not an oldies act, then use the new songs as bathroom breaks during the concerts so they can be at their seats for the classic rock radio staples (Born to Run, Badlands, Promised Land, Glory Days, etc.)

Yes, I agree with you that Rush sucks balls

Draft saved Draft deleted