1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working on a Dream and 2009 Tour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 27, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Depending on which message board or newsgroup you read fans are split on Working on a Dream. There's some that absolutely love it and some that hate it because of shallow lyrics and not enough rock.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I'm enjoying a little more with each listen, as some of the melodies are great (reminiscent of 60s Beach Boys and Byrds) but some of the lyrics are awful (Queen of the Supermarket, despite its catchy tune). Early favorites for me are This Life, Kingdom of Days and My Lucky Day.

It seems Bruce is entering a power-pop phase where he's just making fun music and not caring about the lyrical depth that drew fans to his music in the first place.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So many artists don't come anywhere near Seattle.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So strange, EStreet, because "This Life" and "Kingdom of Days" are by far my two least favorite songs on the album. The latter sounds like an awful Christian rock song to me.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

If you're comparing Bruce to Rush, well, your knowledge of music is clear. Even those who really hate Springsteen grudgingly admit he's legend, just not their cup of tea. To say he has three decades of mediocrity is beyond the pale.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Barsuk,

I'm with you on This Life. Don't like that one at all. But Kingdom of Days deserves another listen. The lyrics are unbelievable. In wedding discussions, we've given some thought to that as first dance material. It's really his pirate looks at 40 moment and celebrating a lifelong love. And ESJ, don't know if you heard that BBC interview but Bruce talking about how he came up with Queen of the Supermarket is hilarious. Something about how the floors were so clean people could scr--- on them. He really is something. I've had that one running through my head all day but actually I'm with you, the two best are Lucky Day and Kingdom.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just sitting down for a first listen now.

As to the tour, I'm going to be in an airport when the Meadowlands and Albany go on sale and am hoping that I get a good high speed connection.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Junkie's point about fanboys is well taken.

I happen to like both Springsteen and Rush. But while no one ever said Rush was a phenomenon or major, relevant voice for healing society's ills, the E Street Band hasn't exactly been recognized as having a transcendent individual musician among them.

There's plenty to like about both.

8. Webster

Nils Lofgren and David Sancious would respectfully disagree.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Is either regarded as being on the level of a Neil Peart? Or even a Geddy Lee?

Seriously, I never heard either one mentioned in those terms, though both are impressive musicians.

(and didn't Sancious leave before the official E Street name was coined? Wasn't Lofgren a late-period replacement, after he had already established himself with other acts?)

10. Piotr Rasputin

They can't all put out such excellent, late-career works as A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, Junkie.

[/smartaleck]

11. Webster

The band is called the E Street Band because they practiced at Sancious' mother's house on E Street in Belmar. He was in the band until late 1974 o early 1975. I have tons of boots from the pre-BTR era, and he was just fantastic.

Nils came to the band in 1984, but he is an outstanding musician.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I read that BBC interview about the story behind Queen of the Supermarket. Still doesn't change my opinion that although the music is catchy the lyrics are pretty damn weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted