1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working in Europe?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by creaven, Oct 2, 2007.

1. creaven

creaven New Member

I have recently graduated from college with a journalism degree and I did "the right things" while in school (sports editor of the school newspaper, internship and freelance work), but it's been tough finding a job (shocker, I know).

I was wondering if anyone knows what the journalism market is like in Europe (English of course). I have started the process to become an Irish citizen (grandparents were Irish) and if that goes through I'll be able to work in any EU country. My soccer IQ is pretty high so it seems that should help a little. Anyway, if anyone knows of a great place to work in Europe or a fantastic internship opportunity (which pays at least a little), I'll be happy if you could give me some advice.

Thanks.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

creaven, my best friend finished journalism school here and got accepted into a Master's program in Vienna, Austria. I am not sure about the sports market but I do know that she is doing an internship for Reporters Without Borders in Europe. After that she was told that she would be guaranteed a position with them.

She has told me that the market in certain areas of Europe are better than the entire country of Canada (and I trust her on this because she has worked and gone to school in Canada). She has also worked in the Mexican market too.

I will try to touch base with her and see if I can get you some information. PM me what types of internships and jobs you are looking for and I will see what I can do for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted