1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working for Trump-like bosses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Jan 11, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had a corporate broadcasting boss who screamed at an anchor that his bald spot was probably blinding the viewers. He once told me it caused him great pain that he was the only person in the entire corporation who understood how TV worked.

The end came when there was a corporate executive meeting to discuss problems at the Atlanta station. His solution was that they had to "stop hiring so many goddamn blacks." The Atlanta GM was wearing a wire. She was fired. She gave her attorney the recording. The rest of the managers were shocked to discover that he had said such things... at a meeting they all attended.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had a boss who offered my job to pretty much everyone he encountered in our little world, including one of my co-workers - twice - while I was still working for him. Nobody ever took him up on it.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How could he possibly tell who used more than one paper towel? Did he go into the bathroom every time someone did?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about Trump-like bosses is that you never respect them, you tolerate them. It's much worse being criticized by someone who has an opinion you value. The bosses that yell and scream, those that don't take the time to know what you do - really, who cares what they think?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

There has been research that a screamer is effective for 18 months. After that people in the organization tune them out.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very surprised screamers get that much time. The guy I referenced was a screamer - and a bully who was always potentially violent making him far less predictable than you average lunatic boss - and you could tune him out quickly but you always had to be wary because you never knew what he would do. To me, when an even-keeled boss loses their shit that's when you pay attention.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been lucky. In all my years, I've only had one bad boss (the former AD at Minnesota who was removed after all the harassment charges).

When I first got promoted to SE, I told myself to keep my temper in check (good bosses don't yell) and watch my language (good bosses don't cuss).
    I made it a little over a year. One guy hacked me off so bad - I tried to walk away, count to five, then 10 Didn't work. I lost it on him and when someone else chimed in, I lost it on them, too.

Felt bad about it but whatever. I couldn't roll it back. Later, I'm walking out with one of my part-timers. He was a former Metro editor, got bored in retirement and came back to answer prep calls, etc. I told him how much I didn't want to be that guy and how hard I was working to rein in my inner asshole.

"Well," he said in his slow drawl, "you've been good about that. But you sure gave us our money's worth today!"

Still felt bad.

"Look," he said, "every now and then, you have to let loose like that just so we know you have it in you."

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I used to have a boss who would promise an elaborate spread for those honored to work on election nights, but when we walked into the break room it was basically just heaps of fast food.

Draft saved Draft deleted