1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Working for the devil ... one man's tale of working for Lenny Dykstra

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 16, 2009.

1. In GQ .. a New York Post photo editor recounts his 67 days of employment with Lenny Dykstra and is ill-fated TPC magazine.
    Jon Stewart fans will particularly enjoy the Jim Cramer mention.
    Fascinating story. A bit long, bit well worth reading.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_8558

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good story. I feel a lot better.

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

makes me feel a little better when they didn't call me back after the interview. I went in early October to their offices and while the interview went decently, I found it weird that I was meeting with the office manager as opposed to the editor.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

Fucking great, truly scary piece.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Wonder if Real Sports will do a follow up on this scumbag.

6. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

shit.

I applied with this place. didn't know it was Nails behind it, but whoever I spoke with on the phone was impressed with my ideas for a couple of features (one was going to be about Chris Paul), and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dykstra on the other end.

Never heard back from them, and I'm glad I didn't.

I've been pretty burned by my last two telecommute gigs with paychecks and such.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If I get laid off, I was thinking I could go work for the car wash with Nails' name on it that was a mile from my old place. Guess not anymore.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dykstra sounds like a mini-Madoff.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

10. Wouldn't the lawsuits be public record?
    I would think a quick check would clear up any discrepancies.

FWIW: I don't believe Dykstra... but why didn't GQ try to get comment from Dysktra for the story?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

How in the fuck could anyone ever think it was a good idea to work and/or invest with Lenny Dykstra, who didn't even have the attention span to complete an interview during his playing days?

Draft saved Draft deleted