1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worker in the newsroom hits someone in the head hard enough to draw blood.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Disciplinary action?

BTW, the person he hit was himself.

:eek: ??? :eek:

(No, it wasn't me. :D But some are muttering about filing a complaint with HR about a 'disturbing work environment.' )

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And bill him for the decontamination costs.

3. Starman

Well, that would assume a janitor came in to clean it up. I don't think a janitor has been in here except to empty trash cans since the Clinton Administration.

4. dixiehack

I would have OSHA in with a quickness.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I wonder if I once worked with this person. Guy I worked with whacked himself in the head with his phone once. Really, really hard. Because he didn't catch something in a story and the writer called in to correct it. But a 'disturbing' work environment? Not sure about that.

6. dixiehack

With all due love and affection for the OP, imagine working with starman five days a week, but THIS is what sends you to HR. Probably talking more than a little cut here.

7. Starman

He wasn't gushing blood all over the place -- just a little trickle down the side of the head.

It was some kind of "what the hell was I thinking" deal, but the guy did punch himself in the head, full fisted, three or four times, HARD.

Guy's never said a threatening word to anybody else -- just out of a clear blue sky, he clobbered himself in the head.

I guess until he starts threatening ME, he can beat the hell out of himself all he wants, I guess.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd go to HR about it, but that can't be a reasonable environment for others to function in, either, if this is a regular occurrence.

I think we've all worked with people who flew off the handle and threw temper-tantrums at the drop of a hat. It's not out of line to expect a minimum of mature behavior. Where that line is may be up for debate. But I'd argue someone punching himself in the head with full fists 3-4 times, to the point where he's bleeding, falls below that line.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

HR will probably send a memo Monday about counseling services available to employees.

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Let the guy be.

In the heat of the moment, we've all done stupid stuff under deadline pressure.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No doubt.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Was his name Tyler Durden, by any chance?

Draft saved Draft deleted