1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work smarter, not harder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Oct 11, 2009.

1. RE: You weren't at our game...

People/readers will always complain about something, and we too often respond predictably by giving them what they want. Fan or coach complains to publisher and/or editor, editor brings concern to SE, and SE brings it to attention of writers.

Nobody examines whether complaint has merit; they just do whatever they can to placate without regard to whether the response appreciably increases circulation/readership or sets a bad precedent. Everybody is so afraid of their jobs that the squeaky wheel fan/parent/coach/AD/SID may as well have an office in the newsroom's editor's row.

If somebody would just say, "Hold on... This doesn't work for us, and here's why," half of these complaints would be seen in a proper context.

Instead, we're just happy to give in, because doing so gets us out the door faster for the 3 1/2-hour commute to the assignment for which we should have booked a hotel, but can't because it's not in the budget. Never mind that no one on the business side would ever travel so far without a hotel and per diem in the equation.

Too cynical? Yep. But hopefully some truth is seen in there.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Work smarter, not harder" is one of the recent management mumbo jumo statements to hit newsrooms.

Translation: "We're cutting your manpower. We expect the same or more product from your staff. You figure it out or you're not "smarter," and we'll cut you, too."

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm lucky in that sense...my editor backs me up strongly and I'm able to deal with angry readers by simply explaining our thought process in choosing various games for that week.

As for the Work Smarter, Not Harder motif...some papers that cynical fire-you-quick mentality may be in place, but I don't see that at my work. Honestly, management wants us to adjust our product realizing that we can't afford the manpower that we used to have. Instead of forcing us into writing 40 hours on a 60-hour week, management at my paper is looking at how we can better manage hours realizing that it means not covering as many events.

I'm thankful for where I'm at.

This thread wasn't meant to be a moan-and-groan outlet, I was hoping it would be a place to exchange ideas in a helpful manner.

Draft saved Draft deleted