1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work smarter, not harder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I find ways to streamline every process or function I can. Everything you can make more efficient saves time on deadline.

But I gotta say: When someone tells me -- yet again -- that we're gonna have to work even smarter from now on, it's them that's pissing in the cornflakes.

My cornflakes.

2. VJ

VJ Member

I think the biggest thing is to stop thinking of yourself as having only one job responsibility. If the desk needs help with a graphic, a headline, there's a blog that needs to go up quickly, whatever... it doesn't matter if you're a designer, rim, slot, wire, whatever. It's not an ideal scenario, but if you keep saying "fuck it" you're basically a few months from being the PD guy talking shit about your bosses on the interwebs.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is why I don't eat cornflakes.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Exactly.

5. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

OK. but what if your paginator can't edit nor write headlines but is "protected" and a writer doesn't or can't paginate and the head of the department is left stretched on both ends and the paper has declined over a year in terms of quality because of the fact they're working twice as hard to cover the same required area? And what if the best qualified of the three can't find shit out there to run to?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this will not end well.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Work harder, then smarter, then even harder.

Then they'll cut back your staff, so you get to work even harder.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

VJ is dealing in Candide-style theory.

Fourth and 8, alas, is dealing with reality.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Also, when you drop by the grocery store for your can of pork 'n' beans, ask the manager if he might consider running an ad. Then get up really, really early, head to the loading dock and pitch in with the pitching of the newspapers, door to door. Your publisher will be right there by your side.

10. VJ

VJ Member

Sorry, I'll stick to "the ship be sinkin'" posts, those seem to be popular.

Run, bitches, run!

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, that is a defense: work hard, produce fewer results, and give the powers that be a dose of reality.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In a better, less-cynical world, one could afford true belief.

It sucks -- but this ain't it.

Draft saved Draft deleted