1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work smarter, not harder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Oct 1, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Oh, and I'm sorry I even brought the issue up.

2. ARD

ARD Member

Learn more about your paper's software -- a few shortcut keys; macros if they're available. I'm always amazed at how few people take advantage of stuff like this.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This reminds me of a wonderful story:

In the beginning was the Plan and then came the Assumption.

And the Assumptions were without form, and the Plan was completely without substance, and darkness was upon the faces of the workers.

And they spoke amongst themselves saying, “It is a crock of shit, and it stinketh.”

And the workers went unto their supervisors and sayeth, “It is a pail of dung and none may abide the odor thereof.”

And the supervisors went unto their managers and sayeth unto them, “It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it.”

And the managers went unto their directors and sayeth, “It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength.”

And the directors spoke among themselves saying to one another, “It contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong.”

And the directors went unto their vice presidents to sayeth unto them, “It promotes growth and is very powerful.”

And the vice presidents went unto the president and sayeth unto him, “This new plan will actively promote the growth and efficiency of this company, and these areas in particular.” And the president looked upon the Plan, and saw that it was good.

And the Plan became Policy

And this is how Shit Happens.

4. doctor x

doctor x Member

I think 'Work smarter, not harder' has a cousin -- 'Doing more with less.'

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

printdust, I think people here are just ground down by all the crap and jargon pushed on them from scared and cheap-ass bosses. That "work smarter" stuff is a buzzword, insulting on its face, and not likely to trigger responses about creativity and shortcuts. Responding seriously makes some of us feel like enablers of the horsebleep managers that sing that song.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, I think that stuff's crap just like anyone else.

But a good department leader wants to find ways to ease the stress as it shows on his staff, their families, his own family, etc. Another buzz phrase is that we're supposed to work to live, not live to work. Or is that just for top brass assholes?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cut the teams you cover. Cut what you do. I'm tired of managers cutting resources with the expectations that staff will continue to make-up the resource shortfall. Have the manager sit in on a game night so he understands the situation. I was watching Band of Brothers this weekend and I realized the problem with the biz is its being led by too many Sobels' and not enough Dick Winters'.

8. wild_will

wild_will New Member

So nobody is gonna share their ideas?

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

You first.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

PD - to be honest, i read the name of this thread and was immeadiately pissed off when i cliked on it. two publishers i've worked for picked up on that line and wanted editors throughout those two newsrooms to push that insulting fucking line. i chose not to both times. i think the line itself gets under some folks' skin.

with that said, i think you have a great idea for a thread, but will you please start a new one and simply rename it: "your brilliant workplace ideas" or some bullshit like that? it was a good idea for a thread.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was being serious. Cut back on coverage. If you cover 10 schools, drop the 2 schools that will kill you the least. Find out where your subscribers are and cut coverage of those areas that aren't subscribing or advertising. If editors aren't going to make the tough calls, its up to you. When the editor starts getting angry phone calls, just say. "Hey, I'm working smarter not harder like you said. Dumbass."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Neither are enough. With paradigms shifting so dramatically you really need to think outside the box.

Draft saved Draft deleted