1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work could always be worse, I guess...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Apr 8, 2009.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

Re: Dead carcasses over editorial

I wanna know what this guy wrote. A deer and a half and rats are pedestrian, but throwing in a black goat is big-league.

2. Re: Dead carcasses over editorial

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/68711/

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

"Oh, and lose the swagger.

Most of you walk around campus with this chip-on-my-shoulder, badass tempo. How is this possible? It's not enough for you to simply lumber around like the other disappointing athletes? Lose the stride boys."

That is so spot on.

I'm not sure what a "badass tempo" is, though.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The dog poop didn't get the point across. They had to add stale cheese?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"There's no decapitating of goats in baseball!!!!!"

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Had to check to make sure this wasn't a completely different editorial-spawns-carcasses story.

And btw, dead carcasses are the worst kind of carcasses. Ew!!!

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious, two things disturb me here:
    1) The paper backs down from the editorial because it ruffled a few feathers? If it was really that bad, the story about the carcasses would have or should have mentioned any objectionable material.
    2) Absurd that the college can weasel out -- pun intended -- of comment by citing FERPA.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We like baseball, but not this kind
    Collegian Editors
    Issue date: 4/2/09 Section: Opinion

We like baseball, but we hate this baseball.

You've gone under our radar for years now, but this past week did you in. Nine games. Nine. You've lost nine games of your past 10. But the sad thing is this doesn't cover the half of it.

We're sure you have your reasons, everyone does. You don't have a great training program, one of your coaches is a rotten apple and not many students show up to watch your little games. (Granted, those clap-trap bleachers do suck, let's be honest.)

Maybe we're being unfair, we are a little more giddy than usual. How could we not be after watching Katie Cezat lead our women's basketball team into the Division II NCAA tournament? How can we contain ourselves knowing we're consistently raking in track and field All-American honors? And we sent four swimmers to nationals.

We have higher expectations because we're starting to see improvement in many of our athletic teams.

In the recent past Hillsdale managed to can its women's cheer team, the soccer team, men's swimming and men's golf. God knows what they did wrong. Even more disturbing, the rugby team (4-3) struggles to become a recognized club (despite field success) as the dean of men pushes to bring a Nerf-war club into fruition. What?

Maybe you're next?

Oh, and lose the swagger.

Most of you walk around campus with this chip-on-my-shoulder, badass tempo. How is this possible? It's not enough for you to simply lumber around like the other disappointing athletes? Lose the stride boys.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to feast on raccoon hearts."

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Sorry, but the writer had to expect some sort of reaction from the team after writing something like that. I don't think it's right that he had a bunch of dead animals on his porch, but he basically called out the whole program.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Did you read the retraction?
    Sis, boom, bah. Or, please don't drape any more goat guts on our front porch.

Draft saved Draft deleted