1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words we never need

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"very"

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I seem to recall within the past year someone on SJ making a technical argument over the use of murder, as opposed to manslaughter, based on the legal meanings of such terms. I thought that was what the poster meant by listing murder in this thread.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

They never slowly take somebody to a faraway hospital.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

By bicycle.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe by cart?

[​IMG]

amraeder likes this.
  6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my first sportswriting gig 20 years ago, when some lady called and reamed me out because I wrote, "... gunned down at the plate."

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There is no murder until you have a conviction or a plea in court. You can be charged with murder, but until there's a conviction, don't write someone was murdered. They were killed.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How is this different than any other need for "allegedly"?

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In order, as in the "in order to" construction.

I just cut that mostly every time I see it.

Bronco77 likes this.
  10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I normally don't like editing quotes, but if a reporter quotes someone as saying "gonna" for "going to" or "gotta" for "got to," I'll generally change it unless it's a lengthy centerpiece-type profile and the precise quotes add to the tone of the story. No reason to leave those in if it's a garden-variety game story or advance. This was another sensible Craig Stanke ruling from years ago.

A reporter at my former shop (which also frowned upon using "gonna" and "gotta" in the company stylebook) used these "words" constantly, and I got some pushback from one of his editors about changing it -- "It's how these guys talk." Maybe so, but that doesn't mean it's good English.

SFIND, MNgremlin and Vombatus like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm with MileHigh on "that." Most of the time it's an extra word that's not needed.

I'm also tired of people using it (instead of "who") to describe people: "MileHigh is a moderator that likes the Broncos." Grrrr ...

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The first lesson I learned in journalism at college was never use "gonna."

There are tons of variations, especially in today's vernacular: "Know what I'm sayin'?" ... "I mean ... " to start out a quote ... "..., man."

Bronco77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted