1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words We Hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

There are, quite literally, dozens of words and/or phrases that, while they may technically be correct, they're written like a fifth-grader.

Many, many of them I see on AP stories. Others are in rags around here that make me cringe.

A few examples:
    "... defeated Boston Tuesday." Boston Tuesday is not a team name. If you must, use "on" to separate proper nouns. However, you can fix all of those problems with one simple, yet effective, rule (that even the AP ignores): Time, Date, Place.
    "The game is set for 7 p.m. Friday in Boston." Bang.

"over" is a preposition. AP (and seemingly everyone else) uses it to clarify the winner of a game. "Kansas City posted a 4-3 victory over Texas." That's one I hate.

"says" is another word I hate. Just hate it. What is worse is that the AP (and many other places) switch back and forth from past to present tense, seemingly ONLY to get the fucking word "says" in there. If they're still saying it to this minute, use "says," but if they just said it once, they fucking said it. "dies" is a close cousin. Unless they're still dying, they fucking died.

Using "it" as a pronoun for a team/city/state/school.

I use a rule of thumb to try to interchange the school name with the nickname, and ALWAYS try to avoid using "it."

A close cousin is using "s'" when not necessary. It looks better to say "Detroit's Miguel Cabrera" than "The Tigers' Miguel Cabrera".

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was a line editor, I followed the stylebook. I did not let my personal thoughts about the style rules sway my editing.

However, since I am no longer a line editor, I think refusing to acknowledge 'over' when using the words 'win' or 'victory' is archaic.

The use of 'it' as you cite is just kind of lazy but doesn't really offend me.

There is no problem with the possessive - the Tigers' Miguel Cabrera.

I could not agree more with regard to 'says.' This is dumb attempt to create present tense when it doesn't exist.
    You might be able to get away with says in a paraphrase, but it doesn't belong with quotes.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Language has rules.
    The makers of the stylebook don't give a damn about language.
    An editor should be expected to make a few judgment calls.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Incorrect. A publication has a style. The editor is subordinate to the publication.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Well, I differ.
    I'm an award-winning writer, headline writer and experienced editor.
    I'm not a slave to some dumb book when it is clearly wrong.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, I hate the words 'award-winning' in every context. If it's a big enough award to reference, name the award. Otherwise I assume the person is trying to pass off the equivalent of a regional Cable ACE award as an Oscar.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1st place Weekly Sports Section, New Hampshire

1st place feature photo, New Hampshire

Employee of the Year, Roswell

Award-winning!

Was 2nd in New England but thought I should've won. Looser!

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Ever when used as "first ever." Worthless 99 percent of the time.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Past history suggests you are right.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm not going to out myself on this site.
    Besides, it's immaterial.
    Point is I've logged enough time in the game not to be subservient to a style guide.
    Editors are paid to make decisions, not be robotic.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Only problem is I'm no longer in the game.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted