1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words We Hate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 22, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which is exactly why said editor hated it. It's not a word anyone really uses, other than in headline-speak.

Same with nab.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My wife hates that one. She also hates "panties," and I've never met a woman who likes that word.

I had a friend in high school who would have a visceral reaction upon hearing the word "rip."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Penultimate.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The guy who ran the copy desk at my first job hated the word "kid." He would insist that unless there was a baby goat in the story, nobody should use it. He would change it to something else every time and insisted every editor working for him do the same.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I fucking hate "reach out". In politics, no one "called" anyone, they "reached out" to people.

"We reached out to the Governor's people, but we haven't gotten an answer yet."

I never understood why it became standard usage, but it always drove me nuts.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I had a friend who always reacted violently to the word "coagulate."

The word that's high on my shit list these days: "ideate."

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I actually like that word, as long as it's used correctly. The same for "reach out," since so few actual calls are made nowadays. (I have no problem with saying someone didn't respond to an e-mail seeking comment, since that makes the story more precise.)

But please stop using "see," particularly after an inanimate object or when referring to something intangible. A school/team/athlete can't "see" a .500 record or a good/bad call, but it can earn one. Or be affected by one. Or challenge one.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to be so rigid when dealing with a one-column hed.
    It's a five- or six-word hed, not the Sistine ceiling.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I get that a lot in my new life in the corporate world, as in "the subprime market saw 6 percent growth last quarter." No, the subprime market didn't see a damned thing. It grew by 6 percent.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"The report said".
    I fix this shit a few times a week.
    Documents don't speak.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Utilize drives me nuts. Why not just "use?"

Also, my disgust for the use of "amongst" and "leapt" in this century (or even the 20th Century) is well documented.

Draft saved Draft deleted