1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words to inches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cyclingwriter, Sep 26, 2008.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Really simple question for all the designers out there? What is the words to inches ratio? Ie. If I write 1,000 words how many inches is that in print? I've worked at papers that use both and was wondering what people thought?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Depends on the paper. Also, search the board - I know this has been asked before.

I hardly use inch counts, but seem to remember it's about 1:25. So one inch is 25 words.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Try our search function, cw. There should be lots of threads on this in the archive. I'm also moving this over to the j-board.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

between 32-37 words per inch is a good rule of thumb, depending on the size, font and actual column width.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I've always found that characters with spaces (if you're using word) is a lot more accurate

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

It used to be about 34 words to the inch, but with reduced web, it's now about 30/inch.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We've had this thread a dozen times, I think.

Anyway -- if you don't know for sure, because it's different everywhere, a good estimate is 35 words per inch. But it can be as low as 30 and as high as 40, depending on web width, font size and all sorts of factors.

But as a rule of thumb, use an estimate of 35 words/inch.

350 words = 10 inches
    525 words = 15 inches
    700 words = 20 inches

Again, though, it's different everywhere.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I always went by 37.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Sorry for putting it in the wrong spot.

10. Funny, we've been having this discussion in the office recently. Two weeks ago, we switched from Quark to InDesign. Every Friday, I write a 1,000-word high school football centerpiece that comes to around 30 inches. The first week with InDesign, that 1,000-word story translated to 43 inches. Our editor freaked out before he placed it. Then, once he placed it, all was well.

Draft saved Draft deleted