1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words That Sportswriters Use That Make Me Cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just a matter of time till you start seeing "first basehe/him/his" and "second basehe/him/his" ...

Tarheel316, Batman and Bronco77 like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just wait until the position of lesser height propels the spheroid in a forward direction into the avenue between Liberal and Moderate Field all the way to the perpendicular impediment, winding up at the tertiary safety platform and forcing the antagonist's administrator to come out and negotiate a temporary settlement with the initiator of action, requiring a successor initiator of action to be summoned from the area of readiness.

And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    SFIND, Slacker and Bronco77 like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Unanswered is often confused with straight.

If a team scores ten straight points on five baskets, followed by an opponent basket after the 10th straight point, only 8 of the points were unanswered.

maumann and Liut like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Straight or consecutive?

maumann, Liut and ChrisLong like this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Jones threw three straight curveballs that were all hit out of the park.

maumann likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Big what?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Covering girls basketball, I called it a woman-to-woman defense once. Emphasis on once. Even the coach gave me grief over that one.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When I was very young, I covered a high school where the boys teams’ nicknames ended in -men and the girls teams’ nicknames ended in -maids. The official name given by the school, mind you.

I unilaterally took the step of eliminating -maids. The readers thought I was an idiot. (I was.) I thought I was taking some brave stand on equality, but instead I was a total jackass. If anything I should have removed the nickname when referring to the girls’ teams and left it at that.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I get the changing thinking on using "Lady" for the women's teams. But when you have schools that play girls-boys doubleheaders, and you're often slamming together a bunch of 100-word call-ins into a bigger roundup, it is a very helpful word-- especially in headlines -- to differentiate which team you're talking about.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's not and it's sexist. 'School' girls win, boys lose.

SFIND and PaperDoll like this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Lima Bath in Ohio is the Wildcats.
    Their official name for girls' teams is Wildkittens.
    Which I find incredibly demeaning and offensive.

HanSenSE, Fdufta and Mngwa like this.
  12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

The "woulds" aren't passive. They're conditional ... and there's no condition about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted