1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words That Sportswriters Use That Make Me Cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 18, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Only one station?

MileHigh likes this.
  2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Wonder if it's a really bad copy-paste from a press release. Were they shot in that neighborhood, or taken to a hospital in that neighborhood? Only one of those things is relevant.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

True. It's all of them. TV stations have never been bastions of journalism, having worked at one.

4. MileHigh

Most certainly I see a lot of copy-and-paste "articles" that are passed off as "original" writing.

Liut likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

swingline-
    So much of this garbage was hatched from SportsCenter and such.
    I've been seeing 'guardrails' pop up a lot lately too.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

In TV they’re also writing to fill/cut time. I imagine those scripts don’t get rewritten before they’re posted on the station’s website.

7. MileHigh

Guaranteed they're not. And if questioned, digital people are told to deal with "real" problems, as I was told many times.

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

An a-hole in my market does that and puts his bloody byline on it.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I had the sports anchor at one of our stations read one of my leads, word for word, on air one night a lifetime ago. We knew he stole our scores and other info. But that was the only time I heard that verbatim reading.

Liut likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Happens here. I've called her out for it, but it still happens and management doesn't care. She's a dimwit and is more concerned about being an influencer than an actual writer or journalist.

Liut likes this.
  12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I have a recording of a major-market radio station spending a full minute reading paragraphs from a story I wrote without even crediting the source.

Byline and dateline on rewritten press releases! I've asked multiple editors to change the dateline to "MY COUCH" for accuracy.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted