1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words That Sportswriters Use That Make Me Cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 18, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same in Colorado. Still lots of Indian-related mascots. In fact, we just had a state football final between the Eaton Reds and the Lamar Savages.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Don't we have a nickname thread hiding somewhere? ;)

My nerdy high school, which was the Spartans, changed its mascot while I was there. As I recall, the general consensus was, "We have a mascot?" I don't think the average student even knew we had athletic teams. There was a vote, and we chose Wolverines... even though the only way a student would see a wolverine locally was at the zoo.

In my coverage area, "Redskins" was changed maybe 10 years ago, but there are still Braves and Chiefs -- and a school named after the indigenous tribe that populated the area. There are a lot of Native American geographic names which have been adopted for roads, schools, etc..

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

In Comanche, Texas, the boys teams are the Indians and the girls teams are the Maidens. The school newspaper is the Smoke Signal, and the town newspaper is the Comanche Chief.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I've seen a guy use multiple tenses in one 15-inch gamer.

The guy probably would have worked a flashback in there if he had more time.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Almost every reporter (news and sports) in my shop uses "different" when it's not needed. And most of the editing staff lets it through. I change it without fail and tell everyone it's a classic "Department of Redundancy Department" usage, but not even the ME in charge of the desks thinks it's a big deal.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hearken, for hark, dampen for damp, and similar misuses.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

"Missed a field goal." You can't miss a field goal. You can only miss a field-goal attempt.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nickname thread? Obligatory mention of the Yuma, Ariz., High School Criminals. Take the 3:10 to get there on time.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pitch, in soccer. When soccer moms start using that term, I'll use it.

Don't @ me.

Also, George Carlin did the ultimate baseball/football phraseology routine. Look it up.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not sports but probably fits here
    upload_2020-12-25_11-9-55.png

11. ringer

ringer Active Member

"Stanza" in boxing. Ugh

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I deal with more news content nowadays, but there's bad stuff there too.

Jimmy Lipper was transported to a local hospital.

As opposed to taken to a hospital.

Both Ben and Dover were injured.

As opposed to Ben and Dover were injured.

I could go on (and on, and on). But there's a lot of overwriting still out there.

maumann and wicked like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted