1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words that leave you nonplussed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"A number of"

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Sort of a tangent, but I hate when people say they are "weary" of something, when they actually mean "wary."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Picture/pitcher drives me crazy, too. I had a caller at the paper once who wanted to buy a "pitcher." I was this close to telling her to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond or Sur la Table or something. Another reason why I'm an asshole.

I think many of you are missing the point here. Irregardless? Not a word. Towards? Not a word. It's toward. I think - think being the key - that AB means actual words that aren't used properly.

Bad is the one that drives me nuts.
    "He's a bad dude," someone will say. Then, because I'm old, they'll add, "You know I really mean good? Bad is good." Yeah, I got it. You're a tool, too.

Turns out "terrible" is part of the family, too. A "terrible" dude, I learned, is a really, really, really, exceptionally good dude.

I blame Shaft.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In the bad-terrible vein, Moddy, I'm so tired of "sick." That was a sick run, he's so fast it's sick, blah blah blah blah blah.

5. Moderator1

I'm sick of that, too.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Shut yo mouth.

7. Moderator1

Just talkin' 'bout Shaft!

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Towards is an actual word, Moddy. It's just wrong to us journalists.

"Toward and towards (pronounce them either TORD[Z] or tuh-WORD[Z]) are Standard and interchangeable in meaning. American English uses both, but toward more often; British English uses towards more."

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

pay dirt. I hate that phrase.

10. Moderator1

It ain't a word in my book.
    So theres.

11. Mad TV literally ripping off David Cross.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

ah dude.. I drove a Probe for 9 years... best car ever!

Draft saved Draft deleted