1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words can't describe how bad the Dan Patrick show is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

When Olbermann and Patrick did the Big Show, that was entertaining radio.

I would rather chop off a hand than listen to Jim Rome. I don't mind Cowherd, but the voice.....it's so wiiiiiiiiny, it almost makes it unbearable.

2. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I was a big fan of Kornheiser's radio show. I listened to Dan Patrick's show back then and had no complaints. It served as background noise and made the afternoon hours pass by a little more quickly. His current show is a joke compared to his ESPN Radio show. Most of FOX Sports Radio is dreadful in my book. Czaban's show is entertaining. I usually listen to it online when I get to work in the morning [only the first 30 minutes airs in Dallas] followed by the opening hour of Dan's show. Then I listen to Tony Rizzo's show on WKNR out of Cleveland. In a couple of weeks his show will be expanding by an hour so I won't be listening to DP anymore.

I've mellowed on Rome over the years. I don't know if this is because he's less obnoxious or that there are bigger douchenozzles on sports radio now. Colin Cowturd drives me nuts. I have to hear ads for his show during Rizzo's show. Does he actually use the distorted mic to make side comments during his show? Or is that just in the ads? I can't stand looking at him or listening to him otherwise I would just listen to his gawddamn show to find out for myself.

FOX Sports Radio landed Tony Bruno. I was excited as I had hoped it would mean the end of JT the Brick and Tomm Looney. No such luck.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The first time I listened to Cowherd, he was talking about the Knicks. Something along the lines of, "If the Knicks were a family, Child Services would be on line three asking to talk to Mr. Thomas."

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

"The Big Show" was no doubt one of the finest hours of sports radio for the brief time it lasted. I understand Keith is busy, but why it's never been a fixture on his new program now that he doesn't have to defend him to the higher-ups at ESPN I'll never get.

DP, for the most part, is on during the same time frame as Cowherd here. I was about as big a Cowherd fan as there was for a few years there, but for about the last year and a half he's been off. I blame it on his divorce, only because that's the only thing I can think of to potentially explain it.

DP is still good for what it is, at least when compared to what his former shop offers. DP gets good guests and still asks interesting questions. The downtime with his cronies undeniably brings it down though.

Anyone ever listen to the Canada's Hardcore Sports on Sirius? They used to do this afternoon show called Drive This that absolutely kicked ass, then the main guy, Richard Garner, left and they folded it.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Cowherd's line about Matt Leinart/Kurt Warner yesterday made me nearly blow Diet Mt Dew out of my nostrils while I was driving. It's a true point -- why Jay Cutler is tougher than Vince Young or Leinart from the 2006 Draft. Cutler got slapped around for four years as the Vandy QB while those others won most games 51-10.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ego? I'm sure they still get along, doesn't mean that Patrick is looking for more of a regular sidekick then his gang of riffraff. But I'm with you, that was great stuff while it lasted.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Czaban's show puts the rest to shame. And there is a lot of shame on the air.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I listen to MLB Home Plate and World Soccer Daily on Sirius/XM when I'm not in the mood for tunes. Neither is exceptional, but neither is bad, either. I like some of the MLB Home Plate guys. The $10 iPod MLB game radio feature is a bargain times ten, and that takes up lots of summer drive time.

9. I used to listen to MLB homeplate daily from noon until 3. It was a fantasy baseball show from noon to 1, then Charley Steiner's show - which was great - for two hours. For some reason MLB home plate canned both of them this year.

10. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I can't comment on his radio show since I never listen to it. I do read "Sports Illustrated" and as far as I'm concerned, he's stealing money. Being that he's Dan Patrick, he can get access to just about anyone he wants. He'll interview someone as part of a lame Q&A. It just comes across as lazy. I don't know how much SI is paying him. His departure would be no great loss. Like I said, I don't listen to his radio show, so I don't know what his on-air act is there, but I sure hope he hasn't gone completely over-the-top like his pal over at MSNBC.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

His lame Q&A is taken from the radio show, so yes he's doing a two-for-one and stealing money.

12. Conor

Conor New Member

I enjoyed reading these comments. I can't stand the dp show either. Mike n mike is unlistenable too imo. It's almost the same show.

My favorite hosts are Arnie spaniar, mike lupica, JT the brick and Tom loony and "That's what she said" hosts Michaela Schreiter & Shyla Anwar. I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

Draft saved Draft deleted