1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words can't describe how bad the Dan Patrick show is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Wow, the response on this board kind of surprises me. I very much enjoy the show and I listen/watch daily.

But I'm totally the opposite of most people here because I can't stand Jim Rome or Cowherd. I don't need three straight hours of continuous sports talk. That's why I always enjoyed the Tony Kornheiser show.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actual opinions are only worth listening to if the guy knows what the fuck he's talking about.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No you're not.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The show is gold compared to Spero Spankaloppamus on Fox at night.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only sports talk shows I can remotely stand anymore are the targeted ones on the XM baseball and hockey channels. There's idiots there too, including the aforementioned Rob Dibble, but at least I know what I'm getting when I flip it on.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Having an ex-major leaguer for a sidekick, even an obnoxious one, is much better than a subservient posse of nobodies.

I think Steve Czaban is the best, he has the group format somewhat too but those guys manage to be much less annoying. Maybe because they all go by real names instead of McLovin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Steve Czaban is the most listenable, by far, of any national host.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Even makes golf interesting, which is a good thing because that's what he talks about 50 percent of the time

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Putting Kornheiser and Dan Patrick in the same sentence is like comparing Charles Dickens to Nicholas Sparks.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

You mean no one loves shameless self promotion, constant name dropping and the same story of the time he was on the sports illustrated swimsuit shoot?
    people just don't know radio gold.
    (sorry i can't access the blue font)

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Him and Rick Reilly. Embarrassing to hear these middle-aged turds talk about their time at the swimsuit shoot.

I begrudgingly give credit to ESPN for anything, but Cowherd tries (and succeeds, IMO) to at least put effort into his show and his "takes". Many times, i have heard him say something at the top of his broadcast that makes me say, "Hmm. Ya know, I've never thought of that!".

Most other hosts get their "takes" from reading the front page of the sports section. It must be pretty hard to come up with something fresh, and although Cowherd swings and misses on some days, he at least has some idea I hadn't heard before.

His "take" this morning was that many of the successful NFL qbs played for struggling college programs, didn't have 5-star talent around them, and it prepares them for the NFL. Something I hadn't thought of before, and pretty decent talk-show fodder. He even came up with a good line, at least one I hadn't heard before:
    "Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before the NFL.
    Matt Leinart was bagging coeds".

I got a chuckle.

12. And if Leinart was bagging any of his teachers, no doubt Poin would have been all over that story.

Draft saved Draft deleted